Find
Notify
Tools

Pre '64 Win 70 rifle - value?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys,

I've just bought a Win 70 in 243 (supergrade(?)) for $AU500, serial number puts it at 1957.

It's in very good to excellent condition, and shoots pretty well, given that it has a cheapo scope, and a trigger that could use a bit of work...

Thoughts?

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the exchange rate is between you currency and the US$, but $500 for a rifle in the condition you describe would have been a bargain in US dollars. Actual value would depend on a lot of things. Is it a standard rifle or a featherweight? Is it in fact a Supergrade? Has it been altered in any way (recoil pad, finish, etc.)? An altered "shooter" would be well worth the money you paid.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
$500AU is only $370 US Eeker

Posts: 9 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks... maybe a bit more info might help.

I bought the rifle from the son of the original owner, who had passed away - although he (the son) and I both shoot, neither of us has the faintest idea about Winchesters... he doesn't like the chambering, and just wanted to get rid of it.

I doubt that the rifle is a 'featherweight' (if it is, I'd hate to carry a 'heavy weight' Big Grin ) I can't post pics yet, as I can't actually take possession of the rifle until all our legalities have finished... Mad

It has a rather nice walnut stock, very nicely cut checkering which goes all the way round the forend and pistol grip, black forend tip, thickish recoil pad, monte carlo comb. The barrel has a raised section all the way 'round where the rear sight is mounted. I'd say the finish (gloss) is original, as it has wear marks where you'd expect them... and a few very light dings as well. It's definitely been 'used', but not 'abused'. Metalwork is in superb condition, with very few wear marks on the jewelled bolt or jewelled magazine follower.

The weight of the rifle isn't helped by the bridge mount (talk about over-engineering!!) and the old (crappy) scope.

Using factory ammo (Win), it puts 5 shots into just under an inch at 100 - through a dirty barrel, which came up gleaming after I gave it a bit of a scrub. No noticable throat erosion...

Dunno if that helps at all?

TwoFortyThree,

now I know why we pay so much for gear over here!! Roll Eyes

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you described is a standard weight Supergrade, very rare in 243. That's assuming that it is actually a Supergrade and not a standard rifle that someone switched stocks. It should say "Supergrade" on the floorplate. There are other clues but that's the most obvious. If the stock is removed, it should have "super" stanped on the bottom of the barrel by the date and caliber marking, though it may not in some cases. The stock would have originally had a plastic butt plate in 1957. That's obviously been replaced by a pad. It should also have inletted swivels bases held in place by 2 screws along with QD swivels. Those QD swivels a worth a bit of money by themselves because of rarity.

According to Winchester records, only 291 rifles were made in that configuration. By comparison, they made over 24,000 featherweights and 6800 standard weights in 243. A standard grade 243 rifle in excellent condition will sell for around $1500. Rule of thumb is to double that amount for a Supergrade. I think you can throw that rule of thumb away because of rarity. I have no idea what yours would be worth because so few of them advertise for sale. The added pad hurts it but not that much considering overall rarity. Let's just say that if your rifle is what it appears, a collector would pay several thousand for it. How many thousand would be between you and him.

You owe your friend a steak dinner, at minumum.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

thanks for the info - it's highly unlikely that the stock was switched - my mate's Dad wasn't inclined that way, and replacement stocks cost a small fortune out here.

I'll have to check the other clues when I take possession of the rifle and can take it apart...

I do know that the sling swivels are inletted, can't recall if they're held in place by two screws - I'll have to check that out as well...

As soon as I take possession of it (damn our bloody gun laws!!) I'll post some pics, and other info...

Thanks very much for your help...

and yes, he will get a steak dinner.... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Great value! If it is a Super Grade, and so marked on the magazine floorplate, it is NOT a Feathrweight - and is worth a bit more as a Super Grade!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rugeruser,

Australian Shooter mag. July 05
Page 73 For sale Win M70 pre-64, scope
exc. (only) $1500.00
And if they don't mention the scope brand it must be an el cheapo!

I thought our gun laws allowed you to borrow the rifle if suitably licensed for that catagory.

Don't forget to drop in if you want to fire my new 458. First shot's free. :-)
Regards, John L>

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Sorry if I sound a bit vague about the details, but I bought the rifle to be a shooter, as I need a 243 for my son (any excuse Big Grin ), it feels real nice, and it was only after I paid for it that I checked the age, and sought further info from you all.

Because of our gun laws here in Oz, it's in limbo until the various permits and regulations are complied with. It's also located some 400 miles from me, which is why I can't post some piccies right now...

I'll post more info as soon as I can...

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JAL,

yep, borrowing wouldn't normally be an issue, but - a) it's 400 miles from me, and b) my current storage is at capacity - trying to arrange more/better storage as we speak. Don't want to store any firearms at home (long story Roll Eyes ) so have to arrange third party storage.

Haven't forgotten about dropping in... Big Grin

It'll be a while, though... thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, finally took possession of the rifle last weekend.

It seems it IS a Super Grade - it has 'super grade' stamped on the floorplate, recessed sling swivels, and the swivels retained by two screws.... the butt plate, however, has presumably been replaced by a ventilated pad.

I've taken some pix, but haven't had time to resize them for the 'net... will do ASAP.

Bought some cheapo ammo, and took it to the range - the crappy old Jap scope was so out of focus (and not correctable) that I could barely see the BR target at 100...

My boy put 10 shots into less than an inch... Big Grin

The rifle created immense interest at the range... I cleaned the crud out of the barrel, and can't wait to see what it will do with handloads.

Is it for sale? Nope!! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good deal to me.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a real good price..The Gunlist shows them in the $2000 to $2500 market depending on condition...in the USA

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pre 64 Win70 in 30-06 that has been rebarreled, counter bored, crack in the stock, reblued so the marking are not crisp, some rust, is still worth $400 to $500 in the US.

What makes that action worth so much money?
Supply and demand, and the legend lives on.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that many folks would buy you two or three brand new .243's of your choice for that rifle. Consider putting it into the hands of a collector rather than subjecting it to the field.