Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger question for jc higgins model 50
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted
I have a Belgium FN action sears model 50 in 30.06. I acquired it several years ago for what i thought was a bargain. ($300). Anyway, I was thinking of selling it to fund a new gun for my son. But he says he may want to use that gun instead of buying a new rem 700 adl at wal mart for $377. Problem is that the trigger is about as smooth as dragging a logging chain across a gravel parking lot. What trigger would be best to replace the original trigger?

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a Timney, myself.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use only Bold triggers for Mausers, when I change them; nothing wrong with the original two stage military ones.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should have asked if the original trigger could be tuned by a competent gunsmith instead of replacing it. I have heard in the past that those triggers were no good, but maybe that was not true.??

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Many of those old JC Higgens had the trigger pinned in the trigger guard and the sear attached to the receiver. While they could be stoned to work OK, they were too complicated and I had two actually break.
The good news is that any trigger made to fit the M-98 Mauser will work.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I would switch to a Timney and not look back, yeah you can make that old trigger work with a bunch of tuning but you still have a 2 stage= long drawn out pull and then the real trigger pull.
A Timney gives it a crisp 21st century trigger pull.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is a 21st century trigger pull? I have several 18th century rifles with triggers measured in ounces and are crisp as an icicle.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The JC Higgens mod 50 is a FN mod 300. As Phil has said the trigger is hinged on the bottom metal. The relationship of the bottom metal to the action is critical. The trigger has a large engagement with the sear, providing a safety margin and lousy pull. Part of stoning for a better pull requires reducing the sear engagement. Anything than changes the relationship of the bottom metal to the action, there goes your safety margin. It is easier and safer to replace the trigger. If you plan on putting a scope on the rifle, look at the safety lever. It will lay against the scope when the safety is engaged, making it difficult to disengage. The tip of the lever can be bent down to correct this.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
What is a 21st century trigger pull? I have several 18th century rifles with triggers measured in ounces and are crisp as an icicle.

Are you asking because you'd like to nit pick or argue over something?
Tell me there is no difference in feel in a WW2 Mauser or Springfield trigger compared to a late production rifle like one of my Supergrade M70's?
I think you know what I meant if not I believe I just explained it. I've not had the pleasure of handling a rifle made in the 1700's that has a trigger comparable to a Timney.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several Mauser sporters with military triggers I have altered to 2-3 pounds that are fabulous. You just have to know how to do it. 2 stage is the best arrangement in my opinion. Safety plus precise let off. Nothing wrong with aftermarket if that works for you.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Sears trigger is a bit of a turkey. I would replace it with a Timney. They have been a popular replacement for a lot of years.
People who know me well know my fondness for the two-stage trigger on a serious, rough-use, hunting rifle but most people prefer an adjustable, single-stage trigger and the Timney is that. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote