New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 Trigger Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Working with a new rifle(.223VLSSTH) and the trigger seems a bit stiff (hard to pull). Is there a good trigger person in SE Michigan? Or close like Ohio or Indiana? or can I get a trigger from Sinclair and install it myself? I'm not all that mechanically talented though, and a bit clumsy.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
You can get a Timney or other commercial trigger and install it for the price most smiths want for a trigger job. If you can't get a local smith to do it for $65 or less, the price of shipping your barreled action to someone and return shipping plus the labor, will easily exceed the cost of a Timney. Of course, you can get directions on-line on how to adjust a Remington trigger but witout taking it apart, I've had mixed results doing that.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
I'm not all that mechanically talented though, and a bit clumsy.

Installing and/or adjusting a weapons trigger is something you don't want to chance and therefore probably best left to someone who is a bit more mechanically adept. You seem to know your limitations and that is refreshing to say the least. Maybe you can get a friend, or, an acquaintance to help you with it.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ADjusting the 700 trigger is very easy to do and if you search for a gunsmith on line in your area any of them can do it. There is nothing complicated about it.
If you are not mechanically talented then don't try it since you may make it unsafe. You certainly don't want it going off accidentally.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Mike, there is a very good gunsmith within a couple miles of where you live; Clyde Moore, D&D Gunsmiths in Clawson. I've taken him such work several times and never had a problem. He can take care of your "lawyer trigger"

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Installing and/or adjusting a weapons trigger is something you don't want to chance and therefore probably best left to someone who is a bit more mechanically adept. You seem to know your limitations and that is refreshing to say the least. Maybe you can get a friend, or, an acquaintance to help you with it.

What Malm said!

However I will add one more word of caution and that is amateurs teach amateurs to be amateurs. If you have decided to opt for the adjustment seek competent qualified assistance.

Aug ><>

To Be Safe, First Think You Might Not Be.

Posts: 114 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Triggersmith.com... great service, great price, great friggin' job! nuff said!

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't bother with the stock trigger. Get a Jewel trigger. Any gunsmith can install it and adjust it to your specifications witout being a "trigger expert". It's not hard to do yourself but if you have any doubts take it to a gunsmith.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by augy:
...amateurs teach amateurs to be amateurs. ...
And that is how augy got all his Remington information.

Absolutely pitiful!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And that is how augy got all his Remington information.

Just common sense HC, something apparently that can not be taught in the school of higher education.

quote:
quote:
PS augy is full of beans about the CPSC - as usual.

HC

Then I will challenge you to provide to this forum the burden of proof to substantiate your claim that "Augy is full of beans"

I am still waiting for your response...

Like I indicated to you earlier in your case it is better to remain silent and be perceived a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt ;o)

You crack me up HC, as your ignorance never ceases to amaze me!!

Regards, Aug ><>

To Be Safe, First Think You Might Not Be.

Posts: 114 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I used D&D a lot a few years back and then one time they did some shoddy work on a pistol and were very smart ass about it when questioned. I haven't been back for maybe 10 years. Have things changed?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote