Find
Notify
Tools

How to drill a hole through butt stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I'm looking at making a new stock for my EAA double. However I don't have nor do I any longer have access to a lathe.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully drilled a hole like this without a lathe. I have a floor mounted drill press and was trying to think of a jig I could build that would keep everything lined up and allow me to drill the hole 3" at a time.

I would be drilling the hole through the blank prior to shaping. Based on the fact that the factory hole is within 1/16" of one side I would say that it doesn't have to be perfect to mount on the EAA.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...what if you took a deck vise and clamped in some sort of spike that you made sure was vertical. then you set the spike to meet the tip of your drill press and tightened the vise to the deck so it wouldn;t move. Then, provided you can lower the deck of the press perfectly straight, you can insert your blank between the spike and drill bit, after determining your exit hole on the blank and theoretically the tips of the spike and the bit would line up and you can drill it a bit at a time.

Dunno, not a machinist or woodworker so there's probably a better method but thought I'd give it a whack!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you take it to someone that has an End Mill , they can find the center , and set the angle to a T .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
As suggested, you can do this on a drill press by clamping a spike or if the table offsets because you have a drill press with a round column you can run a bolt through the table and just clamp it with some washers and a nut. You can grind a point on end of the bolt if you wish. Now if you bring the quill down so the tip of the drill touches the point on the bolt or spike, anything between the two should theoretically get drilled straight provided the drill does not wander. Since you will be starting 2 feet or so away, at the beginning when you drill you need to use some lengths of round stock instead of a drill bit to make certain it lines up how you want. I have always wondered if a person could just chuck up a cheap laser pointer and rotate the chuck by hand to make certain the beam was centered and not concentric and accomplish the same thing.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote