New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing a L.C. Smith top lever screw
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering how you folks do it? At the shop we drill an access hole in the interior stock wall behind the lock plate opposite the top lever stud on the side it deflected to. I think that is the right side. Then we mount a punch in the drill press and use the quill to compress the spring as we insert and tighten the screw. We had a conversation in the shop as to how did they do it at the factory? Couldn't figure it out. Anyone know?

Posts: 3718 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Using a punch, 3/32” I think, and a flat screwdriver with a notch in the center to prevent it from slipping. Clamp the frame in a good vise. With the bottom plate just slightly above final position put the punch down through the plate and into the bottom of the top lever where the screw will go. Using the screwdriver, push the punch right close to the top plate far enough for the top lever to line up with the bottom plate and them snap the bottom plate into position. Hope that makes sense. Really easy once you’ve done it a few times.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, thanks for that! It makes perfect sense. We have tried the punch method but tried to muscle it over. Using the V-notched screwdriver drift is the thing we didn't think of.

Bob

Posts: 3718 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help. I’m restocking a Supreme Grade right now so the technique is fresh in my mind. Years ago, before I figured it out, I also drilled a hole in the stock just as you described. This works so much easier.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote