New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber Kimber 7mm-08 to 284?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm always overthinking things, and this is another example. Bought a Kimber 84M a while ago (older model, 2 position safety) to take with me on a sheep hunt. Now I'm second guessing the power to make a 300 yard+ shot (posted in the Alaska forum for comments).

So, since I have the rifle, I'm considering sending it out and having it re-chambered to .284 Winchester. Obviously will have to have work done on the feed rails as well.

Can this be done? Is there enough meat in the necessary places to do it? Would going with the improved version make more sense? Am I nuts and should just leave it as is?

Opinions are welcome. Don't worry, my wife already has voted for my being nuts.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The .284 is a fine round and I am a big fan of it ( my son has one in a Ruger flatbolt), its performance on game is great however the costs and potential headaches probably don't out weigh the practicle advantages to be gained. Yes you can send her off and have the thing chambered to .284 and have the feeding issues figured out (hopefully you would get someone to make it feed on the first try if not you'll waste a lot of time tinkering with it). But would the end result make the difference between a 350 yard shot and a 400 yard shot? I doubt it. If you practice with your 7-08 out to 400 yards with a good bullet you wouldn't know the difference with a .284 in your hands, neither will the Sheep.
On a side note when I drew Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goat tags in Colorado I practiced all summer for 400 yard shots with my 30/06. My Sheep was shot at 280 yards and my Goat was 21 paces!
Practice for your worst case but be ready for anything. I said before and I stand by it that how well you shoot your rifle is far more important than which rifle you choose to shoot.
By the way I vote with your wife rotflmo!
No not really nuts but you are over thinking it a bit.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 7mm08 for many years and have taken deer with a slow 160 gr Sierra to 350 yds easily. I now load the TSX 140 which averages 2840 out of my short 20 inch barrel. Loading the TSX or the MRX will work just great for you without spending a bunch of money on rechambering.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote