New
Find
Notify
Tools

problem with 444 Marlin...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm unable to chamber 310 LBT style loads or even load them into the mag tube. If I try to single load them into the chamber the ogive shows engraving on it. I have no problem with 240 JHP's. The gun is new and has been coated/plated with a metalloy type coating.

I have no problems using 500 gr. LBT style fmj's in my 45-70...why shouldn't I be able to use 310's in my 444? Does the gun sound like it needs to be throated for these bullets? A 444 that's limited to light bullets is a little frustrating.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Even if you were to throat the chamber you still face the dilemma of not being able to load rounds into the mag.tube. Sounds like the rifle was not set up for the heavier bullets. Sounds like the heavier heads cause the loaded round to have a too long an overall length. Have you checked the oal.
You may be able to seat the bullet deeper into the case. Does the head have a canelure for a crimp? Max ctg. oal can not be greater than 2.570. The ogive of the bullet may not allow for a proper fit in the loading port even if the ctg.oal is correct.

[This message has been edited by Bob G (edited 04-14-2002).]

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
YukonDelta,
I've always heard that the original Marlin micro-groove barreled rifles were limited to the 265 grn (and occasionally marginally stabilize the 300 grn?) bullets due to the slow twist used in these barrels. I think I saw an old Frank DeHaas article somewhere where he built one of these .444 Marlins with a much faster twist and was able to shoot heavier bullets successfully.

Is your rifle wearing an original barrel? JP

one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle has the Ballard rifling...the problem is in NOT getting the rounds to load or chamber. I have no idea if they stabilize (but think they will) if I can just mash a primer!

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
My rifle has the Ballard rifling...the problem is in NOT getting the rounds to load or chamber. I have no idea if they stabilize (but think they will) if I can just mash a primer!

The current is 1-20, whereas the older is 1-38.
Buffalo Bore owner Tim Sundles says his 300 grainers will stabilize in the older, slower 1-38 just fine.
You can try Laser-Cast 300 grain HC bullets, since they sit deeper at their cannalure, with the nose of the bullet sticking out the length of a 240. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote