THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Scope Mount Holes Not In-Line, Fix? And Down Under Guns Frbks SUX!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mount Holes Not In-Line, Fix? And Down Under Guns Frbks SUX!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I have a .375 built on a P-14 Enfield receiver. Unfortunately the front scope base holes do not line up with the rear holes.

(this is getting to be more money than it is worth)

So I take it to a local shop, Down Under Guns, here in Fairbanks. I expected they could fit a blank base and off I go.

So I go in today since no-one called like one of the people doing the wrenching said they would. I ask about my barreled receiver and the dork behind the counter is holding the ticket up to his ear like he's listening to it, "uh what kinda gun ya got?, Is is over on the rack?" (he points at the rack in the corner as if I did not know what a 'rack' is), I repeat it is a barreled receiver and now he's waving the ticket around and making magic movements with his hands with his eyes all buggy. I kid you not. I was so amazed at this show I went with it to see how far this bozo would would act out.

So he starts moving towards the back (a swinging door) to ask about my property. He asks me which 'smith it is. I told him a guy with short white hair. Well the guys in the back have been listening because I can hear them whispering "it's Mike".

This guy repeats exactly what I told him, then comes out and starts telling me the holes aren't aligned. I told him I knew that, that is why I brought it in. He asks me what I want done with it. I ask him "why don't you have one of the 'smiths come out and talk with me". He then just tells me "Mike isn't in today, you can call him tomorrow".
He extends my ticket and I thank him. I am still in a state of shock. I never really get angry or miffed or whatever 'cause it was like watching someone start to freak out from missing their medication or something. Imagine your boss talking to you and all of a sudden he grabs his nose and starts pulling it in different directions. Same trip with this guy. Like he was on drugs. Amazing.

Why is it some shops who do good work for reasonable, have weirdos working the counter? The guy I was with was looking over some stuff and these two salesmen asked if we needed any help, attentive and politely. I wonder if they hired this guy from one of the local half-way houses for the busy holiday seasons? it would go a long way explaining his behavior.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One word: methamphetamine.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
per HenryC470
One word: methamphetamine

Either that, or the lack of it.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is your brain,,, That was the owners son with what was left of his brain...

Sizzled>>>>>

Exhale...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I try to avoid that place if at all possible. I call it Guns Down Plunder, cause they sure are pirates. I don't begrudge someone trying to make a profit, but they are a ripoff. I think I know which counter person you are talking about, my impression is that he isn't very gun savy.
JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, get your gun back and leave.

Have the holes rebored to 8-40. That's what I'm doing with my buggered Winchester Pre War...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
AKJD, it was the short guy with tatoos all over his arms.
His demeanor was relatively polite, just doing all this weird crap.
I should just scrap this stupid rifle anyway. It has been too much trouble.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote