New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic or Pre-64
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, my hunting season starts in a bit over 1 week and now I need to decide what gun to use.
As most here know, I am obsessed with the 264 Win Mag, so caliber choice is a given but since I have been digging out the pre-64's, 1 FW and 2 standards and a Custom Super Grade, I have found that the SG is much smoother than the other three. All 4 guns will shoot 1/2" from the bench and shots around here will be in the 2-300 yard range so any of the 4 will do just fine.
I am thinking the Classic SG will get the nod but with the Pre-64 FW as a backup.
Then again, might just leave them all home and just drive out to the clear cut and take a nap animal

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the classic !
unless you have more confidence in the others I see no reason to risk damage to a pre 64. While I would like to have on to sell in my honest opinion the .264 win mag in a 22 inch featherweight was a bad idea from the start.
But with a 26 inch tube you have a hellof a long range deer slayer...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like you I have a number of nice rifles sighted in so just let some last minute whim make the choice.

The 264 WM is one that I have used since the 60's for long range varmints and sometimes deer. Presently I have a Westerner and it's one of my best shooters.

Due to age I have put aside my old M70's and 99F's for even lighter guns. When it's easy going I still use them of course. The hills in VT were always steep and I now have a Kimber Montana in 308 that will get the nod.

For the farm here in CT where it's easy going I can use just about anything. I am headed there today for varmints and have carried the old M70 Swift and thats a big gun. Today I will use the Kimber Montana 243 cause its new. No better reason than that.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given that they all shoot about the same I'd take the one that I had the most pride in ownership or the one that looked the best. This argument about leaving the pre-64 at home becuse it might get scrathed is getting old. You don't leave your $40,000 SUV at home because it might get scratched. Have fun taking that nap in the clear cut.