New
Find
Notify
Tools

orig 1895 conversion questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I;d like a 405 original,or atleast orig. look. To purchase an orig. would break me, so I'm wondering the following about the mint 303 one I have..How can I get a 405 barrel for it thats like new bore wise without getting a J'paner? And will the rest of the 03 action feed 405's. Or how much mod will be req'd? Thankyou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Winchester come out with a remake of the old .405 just a year or so ago?? Seems the price was only about $800 or so ( maybe less). Perhaps you might find one of the repros floating around???
Ciao,
BJB

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh you sure can, but I'm trying to keep the J'pan label out of the vault

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Kreiger would maybe do it. He made the first conversions of the new Winchester/Brownings. He built mine several years ago before the factory guns were available but it's not a cheap conversion. Don't know whether he would do an original or not.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Since you have a mint condition original, why not try and trade it for an original in .405?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
Charger,
Do not alter that 303!!!! Sell it to me! if you want to sell it please contact. Thanks

Steve

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT MODIFY A MINT ORIGINAL !!! shame

Buy this rifle, sell your rifle, pocket 2-grand.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976625008.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you need help with the stock when you are done, I can cut pretty good with a hacksaw and i got plenty of polyurethane to use, and some cold blue to fix it right up.
homer

one of us
posted Hide Post
The conversion is do-able but it would be expensive and you would devalue the hell out of your rifle...

I just looked at one of the new 95s and it was a darn nice .405 Win....I also looked at one in 35 Whelen that Jim Brockmon converted, also very nice....

Sell your 303 Mod. 95 and buy a collector 405, the cost difference would be your cheapest route as your gun is worth as much as an original 405 according to the gunlist advertisments...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pm'd the fella from australia. No answer. Whos lookin fo a 95 in 303??