New
Find
Notify
Tools

M995 + M995 Super Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody know if the Sako TRG-S M995 action and the M995 Super Magnum action are the same? I have heard the M995 super magnum action is different and actualy has 2 recoil lugs, one at the front of the action and one at the back?

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What calibers is the Super Magnum available in? I have a 995 in 338 Lapua, I don't recall any Super Magnum claims or paperwork. This rifle only has the one recoil lug, I believe. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Dan, the designation "995 Super Magnum" is a new one to me. So far as I know, all TRG-s (Model 995) actions are the same, other than bolt face and detachable magazine. Maybe there's a new product out there that I don't know about.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifles I have seen billed as the TRG-S Super Magnums are the 338 Lapua and 30/378 Weatherby calibers. I have a TRG-S in 308 WarBird and I am thinking of getting one in 338 Lapua mag. I have heard the so called super mags have 2 recoil lugs one at the front of the action and one at the back but don't know if it is a fact or not. I am hoping this is correct because I dont like the original recoil lug in the TRG-S they are a sloppy fit and may contribute to accuracy problems.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I said, I have a 995 in 338 Lapua, and there is no difference between the recoil lug on this and on my friend's 300 Win Mag. Unless this is a new thing, both our guns are at least three years old. If you do a search here, one of the gents at Serengeti (used to be Accubond Laminates) Stocks came up with a fix for this, a pressed in lug, new bottom metal, and a glassed in stock should solve the problem. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And what I want to know is if the TRG22 and 42 are the same action but for length, or if the 22 is scaled down all around.
IOW, do they make a short action M995?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 TRG-S (995) a 375 and a custom 450 Ackley. The 375 has the original bedded in the stock little lug and the 450 has 2 welded on lugs. I have shot the 375 way more than 1000 times and the lug is still ok as of last Saturday. One thing for sure you must keep the action tight to the stock or it can slip over that little lug.

By the way I would like to buy a used TRG-S to make a long barreled 300 win mag. Please let me know if there are any good deals out there.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote