New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glass-bed H-S stock with bedding block?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does it make sense to glass bed a rifle in a stock that already has an aluminum bedding block? I've read that you can do it, but I don't know if it will provide any real advantages.

My 700 that I have in an H-S stock isn't shooting to my likeing. Could the bedding block be putting some sort of stress on the action, that I might be able to relieve with a little glass? Thanks - Gib

[ 11-01-2003, 20:59: Message edited by: Gib ]

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bed all of the H-S stocks. I would be willing to bet, if you pull your barelled action out of the stock and look at the underside of the action, in proximity to the guard screws,you would notice some "wear" marks on the action. These marks are the bearing points that contact the bedding block. The bedding block is simply a modified "V' block for the round actions. With all the machining and polishing that goes into production, they ain't no way you will get as good a fit as you can with glass.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gib, order up a Boyd's pepper laminate. They're inexpensive, easily glass bedded to your liking and I think it would look great on that teflon coated 7 mag of yours! Plus, I think it would be just as tough for an all-weather stock if that is what you are going for. While you are at it, why not rechamber to 7mm UM? [Big Grin] See you in a week

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, Thanks for the advice. I'll check the gun out and see if I can find those wear marks. Do I just slap some glass on top of the aluminum, or do I need to take the aluminum down a little bit with a grinder?

Wyo, I kinda want to get this setup to work as is, but I might put a boyds on my other 7. Maybe I'll make that one an STW so I don't have to alter anything else. See you friday.

Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I also bed H.S. stocks, along with every other make of stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've got to scrape away some of the mold to ensure the glass will stick. Normally, the inside of the stock has some paint or some such in the bedding area. The aluminum portion should be cleaned and roughed up a bit for the bedding material to bond to it. Also, don't tighten the guard screws too much when it is curing; just slightly less than snug is plenty. I normally shim the front, bottom and sides of the recoil lug for clearance with a bit of tape.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the HS precision stocks I've used HAD to be bedded, because the aluminum bedding block was not milled straight. Now maybe I'm blaming the stock for an uneven action, but two of their stocks were pointed out to be uneven by Shilen while installing a new barrel for me. They were nice enough to mill the blocks true, so I wouldn't have to bed them unless I just wanted to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a field fix I took a pice of hardwood (snow shovel handle) wrapped with emery paper and took a little off the bedding block. My rem 700 action was only hitting on the sides. After a little sanding the action mated up better and the rifle shot much better.
Later bedded the whole thing and now its bot more accurate but consistent year to year. Personally I like the HS stocks, but I do think they should mention that bedding is required.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote