Find
Notify
Tools

Oddball mauser bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
I bumped into an Oberndorf action the other day.
It has the most unusual bolt I've ever seen in a mauser.

In fact this it is the only one of it's kind I've ever seen.

This mauser bolt has a full circumfrence bolt face counterbore.

The extractor hook is centered vertically on the bolt face.
A mauser push feed bolt?
A single shot Bolt?

Has anyone ever seen one of these bolts.
If so, what action was it in?

Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think for a shot gun?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect you have a bolt out of a Mauser that was converted by either Remo / Geha into a shotgun. You are missing the "mushroom" that inserts into the bolt to accommodate the base of either a 20/16/12 etc. gau. shell. Be aware that in this conversion especially in the 12 that the locking reccesses? in the action have been milled out to allow feeding of the shell, only the third safety lug engages. In the 16 & 20 the front lugs, I believe engage slightly. FWIW --- John303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds sorta like a M91 Spanish bolt. The photo on P. 22 of Kuhnhausen's book shows the extractor on top center of the bolt when the bolt is unlocked. It also has a deep counterbore, but is open on the bottom in the photo. Maybe some were not open.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You said Oberndorf so I assume it's a 98 or similar. Later commercial Browning Mauser bolt rifles had a push-feed bolt with circular boltface ring and one of these bolts could have been substituted into an original Oberndorf receiver.

Also, 1891 Mauser bolts had the same type of circular push-feed constructin but none were made at Oberndorf.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
It's not the shotgun bolt I've seen and can identify those. It may be the Browning commercial.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you were looking at a bolt out of a 98 schutzen (sp) rifle and they were push feed. Some were single shot and I believe some were magazine feed. They were a target rifle.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Need a picture...Confucius said that one picture is worth a thousand words; of course those were Chinese words, so one picture may be worth maybe two thousand English words.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote