Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Mausers, alloy or case hardened?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I hear a lot of reference to "alloy" M98 actions.

Which actions are alloy and which are the so called "case hardened" or "carbon packed" whatever.

Is this a time line thing?

Are all "milsurps" the pack hardened type?

I own 2 M98K rifles cica WWII. The action marked "44" has had close to 1,000rds of 8mm-06 AI out of it @ quite stiff pressure loads, probably in the high 50,000 to 60,000psi range with no aparent ill effects. The barrel was pulled recently and I could detect no "set back". Headspace always stayed tight as the partialy resized cases offered some resistance when closing the bolt handle the last few degrees. As I never changed the die settings there did not seem to be any change in headspace.

The other is a like new action marked "42". I plan to rechamber this one to 8X68S.

Are these the so called "pack hardened" type actions? Both of the rifles where all matching #s with no rust.

To be quite honest, some of the actions I see being rebarreled scare me. Some are mismatched and corroded. I even saw a 1909 Argie that had the crest ground off of the receiver ring. [Eek!] That one really scared me!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Wildcatjunkie---

Pre 1924 actions were almost all case hardened. the commercial Mauser Werkes actions were cased up to 1931.

The Mauser folks preferred case hardened actions to alloy for those seven years, but FN perfected a heat-treat for alloy that finally won over Mauser Werkes and others.

There are MANY exceptions.

Both your actions are alloy.

I'm curious why you're scared of a ground '09. The crest comes off with the standard .015 surface grind.

-

Here's one.

[ 11-30-2002, 05:01: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
Wildcatjunkie---

I'm curious why you're scared of a ground '09. The crest comes off with the standard .015 surface grind.

-

Here's one.

Well Jack:

The one I saw looked like it was done on a bench grinder. (in somebody's garage I suspect) Definately not "professional" work. It would probably take considerably more than .015" to clean that mess up.

Thank's for the tech. info.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Novice question, what is the "crest" you refer to?

Is it only hardened so deep on the early ones, I'm guessing it is?

Thanks.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Brent,

The country that contracted for the rifles would have their crest rolled into the reciever ring. You can see this at Ammo King on Tudor Road, across from the State Trooper office in Anchorage. They have a very good selection of C&R rifles.

Wildcat, I cannot belive you took apart all matching rifles to sport.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Roger Rothschild:
Brent,

Wildcat, I cannot belive you took apart all matching rifles to sport.
[/QUOTE

Roger:

M98s in military trim are of little value to me. I am not interested in collecting "history".

M98s with good bores and bolts that are matched to the recievers are. I am looking for actions to rechamber, not rebarrel. To each his own.

I paid nothing for either one, they were gifts. Neither was completely authentic eccept for the barreled actions. The "42" action has a MarkII safety already installed, and the (straight grip)stock has already been "cut down". I also suspect it has been polished and re-blued, although the bolt still has the "reddish" blue finish that I have seen on new commercial mausers, and none of the markings are "smeared".

I have been told that the matching barreled action is worth quite a lot, although nobody has made an offer yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If nobody sporterized any Mauser rifles, orginal condition guns would be worthless. Just something to think about.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk, I'll take that one, pretty please!
Ahh, c'mon, PLEEEEASE!

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
I can't tell but that may be one of Jacks "Hollow, engraved, fillagreed or whatever youcallem bolt knobs", now that will blow your skirt up!! your only response can be "How in the hell do you do that, inasmuch as it just can't be done?", that was Gary Gowdys response.

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Nah, that's a plain solid one.

HERE are some pictures of both.