New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester .375 H&H Base and Rings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a stainless model 70 .375 H&H. I have some Weaver aluminum bases laying around along with a set of leupold verical split rings. Can they handle the recoil? Also what is the opinion on the Weaver quad lock rings? What is the prefered setup for this rifle as far as strength and durability. Also the rifle has a hard time jumping over the rim of the catridge when not loaded from the magazine. I realize this is somewhat normal for a controlled round feed bolt but should I have this checked?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Talley rings and bases on my stainless M70. Never had any problems with the scope moving. I always figured that using rings and bases from different makers would be a good way to increase tolerance stack making for a less solid mount.

Your difficulty feeding single rounds is normal. If you continue to feed them without placing them in the magazine first you will eventually break off the nose of the extractor

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Weaver aluminum bases and rings on a .375 for several hundred rounds with no problem . The .375 is not really the ultra heavy kicker some make it out to be . I am not familiar with the Leupold rings you mention , but if you use the Weaver bases make sure the rings you use have the square cross pin to mate up with the square notch in the bases . Some non-Weaver rings such as the Burris Z s have a round cross pin , which could lead to some peening of the aluminum bases .

I have only used the standard Weaver detachable rings , but their 4x4 s look like a pretty sturdy setup........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote