Find
Notify
Tools

Quick stock spacer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK for the most part the wife and I have our own set of rifles. I'm 6'1 she is 5'4. On one we share I have 2 stocks. Which makes it a pain to swap back and forth. An a 10/22 I have a 1" recoil pad for when I shoot it. Looks strange with a 1" pad on a 22.

Anyone have this same issue? How did you address it.

I was thinking of starting with a wood stock. Then cutting off the stock to fit her with a plate. The use that piece that was cut off to form a spacer for me with a couple bolts(screws) that go through the plate on the end of the block.

If that makes sense. Experience? Suggestions?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'2" and Wifezilla's 5'3", I solved the problem by buying more guns.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington offered an adjustable LOP stock with their ill-fated M770 line. It consisted of a thick 1 in. pad and three 1/4 in. spacers along with two lengths of pad screws. They may still sell the spacers and pads. You might be able to retro-fit a gun with them or make your own from a commercial butt pad and synthetic/wood spacers.

http://www.rrarms.com/media/ca...e95/l/o/lop_kit_.jpg

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Frank more guns has been the norm. Just have a couple that I can't justify having 2 when I have other things on my want list.

Bob I was thinking of something like that just using the piece I cut off.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad on my wife's rifle. Adds about 1.25 inches as is. You can add a little length to it by adding foam or wood/cardboard spacers inside the slip-on pad.

There are leather ones as well that are much nicer, but this worked for us.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger american rimfire has different pads for different lenght.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger american rimfire has different pads for different lenght.

You know that might be the most accurate 22lr out there. BUT, it sure isn't my cup of tea.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted on your other thread. I think your plan will work. Use two different pads, attached with thread inserts and screws.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells has a couple of adjustable butt plates that could be copied if you have a mill or wood working tools and a modicum of wood working ability.

Shorten the stock, use a slip-on Limbsaver with whatever additional thickness needed used as a filler inside the pad would be the cheapest, quickest way.

I like the Speedlock adjustable plate except for the price but it would be relatively easy to make a wooden copy, or just about any other easily worked material would suffice.

ClaMar's idea is imminently workable and easier yet.