New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Rem. Mod. 600 question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a steel (or even aluminum) replacement for the bottom "plastic" on these Mohawk 600's?

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells , Sportsmans Guide and cvmw@earthlink.net(willie Manning-a member here) all have guards. Brownells has ribs

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course. Should have thought of Brownell's. Thanks Mouse.

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out mannings floor plate he sells on gunbroker if I remember looks just like factory except its aluminum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some one on ebay sells aluminium ones check it,, i think they are in Canada from memory

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the leads. The steel unit from Brownell's is a little pricey for me and I want to keep the rifle light. The aluminum one from CVMW looks like the way to go. Thanks again.

Jon

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Actually there is a guy here selling the aluminum ones and he gives a listing of his competition and the price they offer. I actually bought another plastic one. I figured it lasted 50 years with the plastic one and I won't last 50 years for this one to warp. The aluminum one he was offering was way more than I thought was a fair price. sofa

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buckeyeshooter, $75 too high for a CNC trigger guard?? Get real!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Willie Mannings black anodized cnc'd aluminum replacement trigger guard for the Rem 600/660 for $75.00 + $10.00 S&H is a work of art & worth twice the price.
I have several & won't use others.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan...I ordered A trigger guard from Willie today. My origional plastic guard is not only ugly but quite warped from heat and age. Plus, the action screw tension (against the plastic) is so inconsistent it can't help accuracy. I would never replace it with more plastic. BTW, the bolt sleeve is in the mail (UPS) and you should get it soon.

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch I 'only' paid $100.00 for the gun with a redfield 4x scope on it and a sling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With your reasoning I could buy a high dollar rifle and if I paid $100 for it, I couldn't spend say $75 for a scope. With you way of thinking, why don't you sell it to me for $200 and double your money.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can spend what you want. I just don't see putting 75% of purchase price on an inexpensive gun. Everyone has things that make sense to them. It came with plastic and in my book plastic is closer to 'original' than aluminum. I'm not saying aluminum is not better, but I'd rather put the extra $40 in my pocket should I ever need to sell the gun. I'm also thinking they go for a bit more than $200 these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll get what you put into it!!
Action pillar bedded or not,the plastic t/guard is not conducive to accuracy when you can't torque the action screws.

I'll bid $300 & you keep the glass & sling!!

Butch,
Are you bidding????

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Received and installed the bottom metal from CVMW (Willie) today. It not only fits perfectly (actually better than the plastic one which I believe has shrunk) but the action screws now come an INSTANT solid stop...no more squishing the plastic and warping the guard. I love this little rifle and, although it's always been accurate with the right load, I'm betting this upgrade will make it MORE accurate and less choosy. Can't wait to get the bolt back from Dan and go shooting!

Thank you Willie/CVMW for a great product AND fast service.

Jon

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
You can spend what you want. I just don't see putting 75% of purchase price on an inexpensive gun. Everyone has things that make sense to them. It came with plastic and in my book plastic is closer to 'original' than aluminum. I'm not saying aluminum is not better, but I'd rather put the extra $40 in my pocket should I ever need to sell the gun. I'm also thinking they go for a bit more than $200 these days.

buckeyshooter, your tighter than a frog's ass, that's water tight! The 600s are selling upwards of 600.00 dollars. Some really nice ones even into 4 figures. What you paid for it is a moot point. You know it's true value is far greater than what you paid for it. A metal trigger guard would really do a great job on it. Also buy a new plastic one. When you decide to sell put the new plastic on it and it will really enhance the original looks of the rifle. Then sell the metal one for about what you paid for it. If you hold it a substancial amount of time the metal guard will also go up in price. NUFF SAID. Just my opinion. coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, no problem. I willingly admit I'm tight. I hear that quite often. It's the only way I can keep a bit of extra spending money. nilly I wish that I made enough money I did not have to worry about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little behind the eight ball,(been busy) I just got on this thread.
Just want to say, I'm humbled by all the good things you all have to say about my trigger guard.
Thanks to all, for the good words and your patronage.
Cheers beer

Willie Manning

Posts: 62 | Location: Southern Oregon coast | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got the bolt sleeve with the new (standard Remington) handle TIG welded by Dan at Accu-Tig yesterday. It couldn't look or fit better! The original (and to me) ugly, chrome "dogleg" handle was so close to the stock it was almost impossible to use with gloves. Just these two mods (handle and bottom metal) have made this one fine little rifle. Thank you Dan and Willie!

Jon

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
We gotta have a picture please. dancing

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A picture? Oh boy... I tried once before to do that and never could get it to work. I'll give it another try.

Jon

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Jon, I have three rifles built on the 600 actions still with dog leg bolts. Also building a DGR on an Eddystone action also with dog leg bolt. If you can would you email me some pictures. I sure would appreciate it, I'm looking for ideas.

waltzn@aol.com

Thanks Jon.

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Olcrip...it's not really the "dogleg" I had problems with but the closeness of the bolt knob to the stock on the Rem. I took some pictures and got as far as resizing them on Photobuckett...then got completely lost! Maybe I could email them to you and you could post here? If not, I'll try to be patient and keep trying!

Jon

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Jon, if you keep trying and finally succeed you will be that much richer because you have conquered the picture dilemma on the forum. Thanks for trying, if you don't (I know you will) succeed you can email them to me. Thanks.

coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon,
The bolt handle on my Grandson's looks like this:

Butch

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Now that is high dollar class. Nuff said, just class. thumb beer That deserves a toast, salute. That means I really like it.

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to get "off topic" here but can someone suggest a more current (T. Carr's picture posting primer is over 5 years old) or simpler guide for posting pictures? The 2005 posting guide just does not apply to today's Photobucket website.

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon,
It took me forever to learn to post. You need to get them on the web first. To me the hardest part was getting them to Photobucket. If you can get them to Photobucket you go to the picture that you want posted. If they are on photobucket scan down until your pointer is pointing to IMG, left click and then right click.Then point your pointer at copy and left click. Go to the forum and after giving your message,hit your left click button and then right click on paste.
Your photo should come up.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trying the pictures again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops...Thought I re-sized them...sorry. I'll get better with practice. Thanks Butch for the detailed instructions. As you can see this is just a basic "huntin' rifle" but it DOES shoot more accurately with the metal floor plate and I now can get my hand on the bolt handle. Thanks again for the posting help.

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking good Jon.
Butch