New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fierce rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any information on these rifles. My son just purchased one and they seemed kinda expensive but I have not bought a new rifle in a long time. www.fiercearms.com It came with an un-lapped McGowen barrel which apparently you have to break in.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The boutique rifle builders are a dime a dozen. An unlapped McGowan barrel is nothing to brag about. I have a McGowan barrel but I'm not going to put it in the same class as my Kreiger and Bartlein match barrels (or even my Shilen and PacNor barrels) it just doesn't compare.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An acquaintance of mine sent me pics of him with a Dall Sheep he shot last week and the rifle in the photo looked like a Sako 85. So, I asked him about it and he said it was a Fierce in 300 WSM.

I did some googling and it looks like the rifles are manufactured in Canada and are a close copy of the Sako 85. The articles I read said they allegedly held the tolerances in machining the action tighter than Sako.

I read some mixed reviews on them but I obviously have no firsthand experience. I have been thinkin about buying a Sako 85 and I would probably go that route if I were to buy one. I'll need to do a little more research though as I read the Sako 85 has some difficulties ejecting standard length rounds. Apparently, the empties tend to hit the scope turret. Folks on line claim it's not a problem with the short action rounds, just the long action ones. I don't know if the Fierce action would have the same problem or not.

Posts: 450 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not seen the rifle yet, son is on vacation. They look like a nice rifle from the photos but looks are not everything. He bought it in Utah it was my impression thats where they are made, did not see anything about Canada.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This article will provide some information about their design and manufacture. Other posts on various web sites will offer more info and perspective.

https://www.huntingillustrated...ew-fierce-edge-rifle

Posts: 450 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote