Find
Notify
Tools

I am a Novice - want to polish & blue my 22 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
My Scoremaster 22 is old and looks like a hand rail in rain. It is actually a reliable rifle & shoots well, just not stored well and had surface rust when I bought it. I have cleaned it up but it still looks crap. So I thought it was a great way to learn Rust Bluing - which is a new idea of mine threatening to become an obsession. (I can already think of rust bluing my Mannlicher Schoenauer 1910 etc.).

How do I polish the rifle & action?

Should I take the barrel off the action to spin it on a lathe?

Should I remove the safety, trigger etc from the action?

I have had a look at a Midway video clip on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...uxMg&feature=channel

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
To really do it right the gun should be striped down to a bare action.
But this creates a couple of problems, Like trying to disassemble the action without breaking or bending anything, then not loosing any parts during the polishing process, Then reassembly with bending or breaking anything.

I use mold makers stones to polish the majority of the action you can use what ever you want just remember though to keep all the edges of the action and barrel sharp. Use a backing pad with sandpaper or emery cloth or just be very careful when you get near an edge.

I would not worry to much about polishing it to a mirror shine as that is very difficult for a novice. Just get the action to a 240 grit finish and have someone bead blast is with fine glass beads. This will leave a nice matt finish and attempt to hide any polishing flaws and pits.

Notice I said Attempt. Nothing will hide pits and polishing flaws other then removal or those bake on lacquers and that just looks like crap.

Rust blueing will look better anyway with a dull finish to start with as the steel wool will start to burnish the finish in and polish it slightly

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote