New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock ID please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up this stock recently and for the quality of the work put into it, I couldn't turn down buying it. I've been known to buy stocks and cool parts for guns that I don't own yet. Anyway, I am 99% sure this is a LA model 70 stock, but what is confusing me is on the left side of the stock there is a shelf like you might find on a 98 mauser for the ejector box, which a model 70 does not have. Any ideas or thoughts on this stock?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm not real good a looking at inletting and calling the shot but I will say that the MRC 1999 action has a raised boss around the bolt release in that location and is very similar to an M70 in overall shape; the front ring being the major difference. But the bolt release has rounded corners and doesn't square off like that.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MRC is my guess also.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Could be a Model 70 stock that was adapted to fit an MRC.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any chance it is for a Kimber (of Oregon) Model 89 BGR? Guns Intl Picture Pic 2

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a M70 with a cutout for an iron sight base?

one of us
posted Hide Post
C'mon guys, tell me I solved the riddle! It's a stock off a Kimber 89 BGR. The checkering pattern looks identical to the pictures in my previous post.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Glen71. Sure looks like the Kimber. Doesn't look like the MRC pattern inletting I have in the basement.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you nailed it Glen. Many thanks
I might try and morph a model 70 into it and put a receiver sight on the ejector box notch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It IS a Kimber 89(BGR) stock.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Maxwell:
I might try and morph a model 70 into it and put a receiver sight on the ejector box notch

It might have some resale value to someone who needs a replacement or upgrade for their Kimber. I would think that M70 stocks would be much more plentiful. Just a thought.