Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone sell 1903 Actions???
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
bearcat,
1903 actionsa re NOT cheap like they used to be...

and DO NOT buy a national ordinace rec.... it is NOT govt spec.... it works fine, onc eyou spend, oh 15 hours cleaning it up

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
What is the main difference between the 03 and the 03 A3? Better/worse?

In virtually all respects, the "safe" serial numbered 03's are nicer than the 03A3's. The 03's were better machined and finished, plus they have much nicer milled bottom metal. The 03A3's have a one-piece stamped triggerguard and magazine.

Cosmetic differences are the nicely rounded rear tang and hidden screw hole on the 03 vs. the wide flat rear tang and visible screw hole of the 03A3. The 03A3 has a dovetail on the rear bridge for the military receiver sight, the 03 is nicely rounded. the 03 has a "scalloped" housing on the bolt stop, the 03A3 is a straight round "barrel". The bolt on the 03 is nicely polished and free of tool marks. The 03A3 is typically "stepped" and in some examples particularly crude.

03A3's can be made to look presentable, and make perfectly suitable hunting rifles......but they well require some fine finishing with stones and paper.

Is the 03 action better than a military mauser action?

In a word.......no. And this from a guy who prefers the Springfield.......for different reasons. The Springfield modifications to the Mauser 98 design were designed to get around the Mauser patent. It wasn't successful, and the effort laid an egg. The external safety lug on the Springfield is ugly and requires a higher bridge. The 2-piece firing pin on the Springfield is less durable. The gas-handling on the Springfield isn't as good as the Mauser.

That said, the Springfield will make a very nice sporting rifle chambered in any of the 30-06 derivative cartridges. They are smooth and nice-looking. They're also a great piece of American firearms history. The first great, widely available American bolt action rifle. And the precursor to the Winchester Model 70.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I look for 03 or 03A3's that have been sportreized that have not been drilled and tapped. I dont mind receivers that have been drilled for a rear peep sight like the Lyman. I also prefer ones that have not been blued unless I can look at it in person or really good pictures.

I also stay away from 03A3's that have the dovetail ground down on the rear bridge.

It is cheaper to buy one already sporterized than to buy a military unalltered rifle to build a sporter . Just have to watch out for what has been done to the receiver

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I found one thats already been sporterized in the caliber that I was looking for. What is the main difference between the 03 and the 03 A3? Better/worse? Is the 03 action better than a military mauser action? Thanks guys

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
The difference is mainly in the rear bridge, the 03A3 has a dovetail for the sight, the 03 has a round bridge because the rear sight was mounted in front of the reciver ring.

Most prefer the 03 but I like them both.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hmmm
IF one was to sportize, get the 03 bottom metal and a 1903a3 action.... I 've got several of both, and prefer the KNOWN safety of the a3

what caliber are you wanting ?

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
The civilian Marksmanship Program is selling 03 and 03A3's Sometimes they have some stripped actions and barreled actions for sale.
www.odcmp.org

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Sarco does sometimes Sarco

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I agree, that cocking knob is unnecessary but it looks cool!

It just wouldn't look like a Springfield without it.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bearcat,
Your IM and email are off....

I've got a super naice flaigg custom, with a FINE stock.... in 257 roberts

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too am keeping my eyes open for a good deal on one, and will tell you that I saw a double heat treated 03 on gunbroker i think it was about a week ago, couldn't find my bookmark of it now, but it was there and was under 300 I remember. Sporterized, or mostly so. They are not as good in my opinion as the mauser, but have an appeal, I like the way that they look. I only need another one for a project for my stepfather, but do have my 03a3 to build on (I also have to 03's in the good serial range, on 06 and one 308 Norma, stepfather has a 257 roberts AI and a 308 Norma). They can be made to look real nice, just don't let anyone talk you into cutting the knob off the cocking piece, I think it gives them character and is a defining trait.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want one in a 25-06

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking for just an action to build on, anyone know of anybody that sells these? Thanks