New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Recoil Pad Replacement
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at replacing the recoil pad on my Weatherby Euromark. Weatherby no longer sells them but did say that they are glued on.

Anyone have experience removing one of these?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one has done this?

Are they not glued on?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't removed one, but if the company told you it was glued on it likely is. We run into glued on pads occaisionally in the shop. Usually, I check to see if it is also screwed on. Once I have eliminated that possibility, I try to pull an edge up and get under it and work it off with the aid of a chisel and solvent that won't damage the stock finish. If that fails, I cut off the rubber part and belt sand down the base plate to wood.

quote:
Originally posted by sjmci:
No one has done this?

Are they not glued on?

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hundreds, maybe thousands of Perazzi pads have been removed. The two most common ways of removing the glued on pad are cutting the base plate with a bandsaw and belt sanding to wood, basically what Bobster said. The other way, probably more common, is placing butt in hot, but not boiling water, for 15 minutes or so then start a chisel or large butcher type knife at the seam. When you get the separation started you are home free.

Posts: 764 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Ah, I can offer my experiences with this! As luck would have it, I replaced the rock hard pad on my 1970's/80's Mark V last year. I bought the rifle basically brand new old stock, and everything was super stiff. Being no stranger to replacing recoil pads on my guns, I set about as normal. Two screws in the pad...broke off when I tried to remove them. It would appear not only were the screws into the stock but that they were somehow epoxied in, as well.

From there, I had to cut and grind the remainder of the pad off (which was also glued on) to get down to bare wood. I used a doweling bit to kind of "core out" the broken pieces of screws in the stock then filled the holes with some walnut dowel as normal. Once all that was dry, I didn't like the trueness or flatness of the buttstock, so I rigged it up in my table saw sled and took a hair off the stock to even everything out.

Once I was done with all that, it was pad installation by the numbers. I went with the Pachmayr F325 pad which is brown vented but opted not for the white spacer. The result was as good as anything else I've done and compliments the rifle nicely.

I suppose the point I make with this is - it's not a typical unscrew/screw replacement but is easily handled with a few tools and patience.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just took off one yesterday. It is both screwed and glued to the stock. The stock is Factory Weatherby MK V. Pachmayr F325 is the exact pad but without the Weatherby logo.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote