THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Leupold QD rings mounts... need some measurements

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold QD rings mounts... need some measurements
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've tried to get the measurements I need from Leupold a couple of times, but get the same old rote memorized "rear hole spacing is .5", front hole spacing..." Not at ALL what I need.

Here's the problem: my new Leupold 2-7x33 scope has a tube too short to use with my Talley mounts and rings. The way the receiver holes are placed on the front and rear rings, and the way the bases are designed, there is a shortage of about 3/16" of scope tube.

I'm wondering if the Leupold QR (not QRW) system would work -- so, if someone out there is using them on a Mauser 98, if you would be kind enough to give me some dimensions (i.e. length of base, how far mounting screw holes are located from the rear edge of the base, how far the hole for the ring post is from the rear of the base, etc.), I would appreciate it. Basically, I am trying to figure out how close I can get the rings, with the holes already drilled in my receiver.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I live about 20 miles north of you. I'm not technical enough to give you all the measurments. But, I have a spare set of 2-piece QR Leupold bases. Also have a 98 action with the mounts on it. I'll send you a PM with px#. Saturday morning we can meet at a gun shop near my house and you can see if this works.

[ 10-15-2003, 06:42: Message edited by: Matt Norman ]

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Getzen:
I've tried to get the measurements I need from Leupold a couple of times, but get the same old rote memorized "rear hole spacing is .5", front hole spacing..." Not at ALL what I need.

Here's the problem: my new Leupold 2-7x33 scope has a tube too short to use with my Talley mounts and rings. The way the receiver holes are placed on the front and rear rings, and the way the bases are designed, there is a shortage of about 3/16" of scope tube.

I'm wondering if the Leupold QR (not QRW) system would work -- so, if someone out there is using them on a Mauser 98, if you would be kind enough to give me some dimensions (i.e. length of base, how far mounting screw holes are located from the rear edge of the base, how far the hole for the ring post is from the rear of the base, etc.), I would appreciate it. Basically, I am trying to figure out how close I can get the rings, with the holes already drilled in my receiver.

Thanks in advance,
Todd

I am holding a whitworth 98 mauser 375 h&h with a 2x7x33 vxII in the leupold QR mounts [Big Grin] The rear screw on the rear base is as close to the rear edge as it can be. Rear hole spaceing is aprox. .500 It hangs over the bolt area aprox. .500, rear base length is 1.340 ring post is aprox .900 from rear screw Works great [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 10-15-2003, 07:06: Message edited by: tsturm ]

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote