New
Find
Notify
Tools

goverment 80 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a series 80 come in that didnt fire. The firing pin wont protrude through the breech face. It came with a extra pin wich is shorter than the one installed. I ordered one for this caliber, 38 super. It is the same. The Firing pin stop may have been changed, The customer bought this gun used. Does the fp stop have to be fitted as far as thickness goes? There is a raised pad area around the fp hole.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Not very experienced with the series 80's as I was never a fan of the passive firing pin block. They do offer a different stop for a series 70 (the standard 1911 before the 80 series,no FP Block) and the series 80 but it sounds more like the firing pin block is not being released in the slide. Only firing pin problems I have EVER had has been with 22/45 conversion units and Colt did make two types of those and they are not interchangable with out grinding. Only thing I can think is to check the passive block.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was it, the little birdsmouth thing at the right of the sear and disconnector was in backwards and wouldnt push up on the upper thing that depresses the fp lock button. Thanks for the reply Zim.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blagg:
That was it, the little birdsmouth thing at the right of the sear and disconnector was in backwards and wouldnt push up on the upper thing that depresses the fp lock button. Thanks for the reply Zim.

I'll bet it will launch that pencil now!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep the pencil flies! Thanks for all the input.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just realized you have 2 handles Westpac. How familar are you with Model 12 Rem 22's. Really I am gonna quit working on these old 22's. The bolt release button has to be pushed after firing to eject the spent shell. Another basket case that may not have all the pieces with it. Came in a bag.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR