New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginner Rebarreling Q
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm rebarreling an older (60's) Savage 110 action (1st timer). I know the nominal thread tenon dimensions are 1.055" - 20tpi. But my measurement of the action threads show 1.025". According to my calculations, shouldn't the thread tenon be 1.0625"? I don't have the old barrel to refer to. Am I figgerin' wrong. I don't want to turn the tenon too small and have a sloppy fit. On the other hand, I don't want to turn it to the larger dimension, thread it, have it not fit, and not be able to use the bbl. Can anyone here help a rank beginner?

Gimpy

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gimpy:
[B
Gimpy;
I checked my measurement list of factory barrel's I've taken off. The Savage I measured was 1.055. I don't know how old the gun was, I've been doing this 30 plus year's and did'nt mark a date for it.
First get all your measurement's from your action for length. Then measure the recoil lug for I.D. Turn the tenon under the recoil lug to this dia. -.001. Turn the rest to 1.0625. Cut the thread's until the action will just start on. Then cut and try until it will screw on smoothly all the way without any play. Make sure before you try it on each time you take a fine file and lightly remove any bur's that will give a false reading. If you are going to use the barrel nut you will have to make sure it fit's also. I don't use it unless the customer demand's it. If you find the recoil lug is under 1.0625 cut the tenon 1.0625 and open up the lug 1.0625 + .001.
I don't think I've left anything out.
I remember when I started 32 year's ago no one would tell me anything, until I met a older machinist who loved gun's. He was a gold mine. He is still alive today and love's model 98 Mauser's

------------------
Ron

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[ I should have mentioned that if you are using the barrel nut you obviously won't be cutting a threadless area under the recoil lug.

------------------
Ron

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, Ron, I appreciate it. Yes, I'm discarding the bbl. nut. It's inside dia. is 1.076" so I kinda figured the tenon must've been the larger dimension, but wanted to get another opinion. Take care and Happy Holidays.

Gimpy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should read "...the inside dia. of the RECOIL LUG is 1.076."

Gimpy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always practice on a piece of bar stock to make sure everything fits before I start cutting on the barrel.
MR

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purchase a set of thread wires, about $10, and learn to use them. The major and minor dia. of a thread are theoretical, not what the thread should really be. There are good explanations of threads in Machinery's Handbook, even older ones. It is more fun when you know the theory behind the practice.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay & MR - Thank you for the replies. I'd planned to "practice" on something else before attempting a barrel. My father-in-law was a machinist for 50 years. I'm still going through all his stuff. Maybe I'll come across those thread wire gizmos. I have some old Machinery Handbooks from the 40's I've been reading. They come in handy because I also acquired an old (1926 SB lathe). Thanks for the suggestions.

Gimpy

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ron Morse's post is exactly correct! Follow his instructions exactly and you will be just fine. I use a Holland oversize recoil lug that measures .250 inches thick and had to bore it out to 1.065 on a mill. Savages work out really well when set up like a Remington.! Good
luck-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote