Notify
Tools

model 93 mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
2 questions:

1) Are 93's the only mauser action that have a square bottom bolt face and cock on closing?

2) Are 93 actions any good?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to your first question - not sure. The later M93 versions went to round bolts. F.De Hass in his book "Bolt Action Rifles" does not mention other flat bolt versions.

As to the second, I once had two very nice M93 Spanish Mausers, both German made by L.Lowe (a 1896 and a 1897) and both flat bottom bolts. I turned both into sporters, one in the original 7x57mm and the other one was rebarrelled into 6.5x55mm Swedish - using a Swedish M38 barrel. Both shot very well. I was very satisfied with both.

I personally would NOT use a spanish made M1916, only the german made ones. Using them in anything hotter than 7x57mm or 6.5x55mm or any of the calibres not mentioned by Hass as suitable, is possibly not a good idea.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Just want it to be a 7 X 57.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen hundreds of trashed out Spanish made rifles and they were all flat bottom bolts.
I have only seen 2 German made rifles and they were flat bottom also.

I never minded the cock on closing. Most Spanish used rifles have badly pitted bolt faces. Many have seen such hard use that the cam that retracts the firing pin is often worn.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got an oviedo 93 mauser, don't think the numbers match, not sporterized, for $130 shipped to your ffl if you want it....its in decent shape, better than a wall hanger....and is a 7x57

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
jimatcat,
PM sent.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of the Spanish 95 rifles that have the square bolt face.I think they finally found out that they didn't need it.The sweed's bolt will work in them also.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsman456:
I have 2 of the Spanish 95 rifles that have the square bolt face.I think they finally found out that they didn't need it.The sweed's bolt will work in them also.Good Luck

Swede bolts have a guide rib like a 98. You would have to grind that off before it would slide into a 93-95.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swede bolts are also a different length, AAMOF they are unique in the Mauser pantheon of bolt lengths. The Swedes are shorter than the standard 98 but longer than both the 98 intermediate length and the earlier 93/95 length. The 98 intermediate bolt can be made to function in the earlier 93/95 receivers with some bench work and I've done this many times, it makes a fairly decent little small-ring Mauser action eventually. And LOTS cheaper than a Kurz action!

I've found that the German-made 93/95 actions like the 95 Chileans made by Loewe and DWM are superb but the Spanish-made 93/95 actions are not usually made nearly as well and appear to be softer. I don't use the Spanish-made actions but will use the German-made ones happily.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote