Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help with a Leupold 2.5 x 8
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
Could I get one of you guys who has a 2.5 x 8 VXIII or VX-3 to lay a set of calipers between the bells of it and see what the actual measured max ring spacing is? I know the catalog shows 5.2”, I’m trying to see how close that is. I would like to put one of these on a rifle with custom bases and the rings are pretty much right at that. I’d love to find an extra .050 or .100.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Use Leopold extension rings. The front one is extended. Make it extend rearward.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one on a CZ in .416 Rigby, it measures 5.180” between front bell and power adjustment ring. I have about .040” on the front and about .030” on the back. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2824 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karl. Exactly what I needed. I just noticed too that the VX3i looks like it’s had the power ring area changed a bit so it does not have that “ramp” in front of the ring like my other Vx-IIIs/3s Maybe that adds a little room?

So...if anyone has a VX3i....couldja measure the same spacing?

Not changing bases/rings on this as the bases correct mis-drilled holes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
5.3” would be max ring spacing on VX3i. 5.2 will work well. Cheers
Edit. I just compared VX3 to VX3i. VX3 is 5.1

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can further confirm the 5.3 in measurement on my VX-3i

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Many thanks metal and blackbart! Very helpful.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The 2.5-8 - original one from many years - is on my 375/404.

Has been to Africa many times, works like a charm, despite all the rough handling.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67469 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2.5x8 is my go to hunting scope.
I just sent a 30 yr old one back to Leupold for a tune up, they just sent a brand new VX3i back!!!
You can’t beat that for service.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
2.5x8 is my go to hunting scope.
I just sent a 30 yr old one back to Leupold for a tune up, they just sent a brand new VX3i back!!!
You can’t beat that for service.

That's great, Metal, kind of magic pudding.

I worry why makers have to be so generous, though, and suspect it is because they know the basic design* of modern scopes is dodgy but rather than enter correspondence into it they just give out new ones.

The worst situation, of course, is when one gives up in the middle of the trip of a lifetime, at which point no warranty will be much comfort.

*ie the massive suspended erector tube generally used to constantly centre reticles

Posts: 5020 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The worst situation, of course, is when one gives up in the middle of the trip of a lifetime, at which point no warranty will be much comfort.

That's why I take a sighted in backup scope. Have yet to use it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote