THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Adventures w/mineral spirits & nuke proof cosmoline.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adventures w/mineral spirits & nuke proof cosmoline.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
Well I decided to go the mineral spirits route to remove the encrusted cosmoline on the 98/29 Persion Mauser action.

I found a 2# plastic Folgers coffee tub that was just deep enough to submerge the receiver. thumb

I set 'er up on the floor and leaned the barrel against my loading bench to soak overnight. About an hour later my son notified me that the mineral spirits had started to leak onto the floor. homer

I poured the solvent into one of my wifes stainless cake pans, sofa she promptly suggested that if I wanted supper, I should use the aluminum foil roaster pan that was on the shelf and let her use the stainless pan to cook ribs for supper.

I placed all of the small parts in the foil pan and with some paper towels under it for good measure, I left it all soak overnight. I then cleaned up the mess on the floor before retiring for the night.

In the morning I found that there had been a pin hole in the foil pan, and a few ounces of mineral spirits had leaked onto my loading bench. Roll Eyes

Well as I said, it was just a pin hole, so I placed several paper towels on the old kitchen table and after cleaning up mess # 2, I moved my base of operations and proceeded to work on the small parts with a brass brush.

Now you have to understand that I got up about 5:30 AM so as to be able to work without interferance. sofa

After soaking all night in mineral spirits one would think that whatever this gunk was, it would be softened up right? Riiiiiiight! After disolving the plastic coffee tub, all it did to the gunk was make it sticky! The brass brush wouldn't even phase it!

I finally ended up using acetone and lots of elbow grease. After all of this sweat and toil I was able to extract an almost perfect 98/29 barreled action. After cleaning the chamber and bore with acetone soaked patches, a 30 minute treatment with "Wipe-out" revealed no copper in the bore whatsoever! I don't even think it has ever been fired! beer

I slapped 'er into a Persian Mauser stock that I had gotten from Fourtails and after cutting a coil from the trigger spring and polishing all of the bearing surfaces on the trigger, sear and cocking piece, the take-up is 3# and the trigger breaks with a slight amount of creep @ 5#. jump

I'm going to have to save my penneys and get another one of these babies! Big Grin

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Serves ya right for not doing the turkey fryer and pot o' boiling water!

Having said that, I'm glad it was your son who noticed the leaking can and not your wife the next morning, as is usually the case around here.....

Feel free to post a pic!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best thing for old cosmoline is a small steamer...just don't use the good oven mitts to hold onto the rifle. Never had "good" oven mitts defined to me so I keep getting in trouble from "she who must be obeyed"... Big Grin
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote