Find
Notify
Tools

wire eyecup loupes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted
Here's today's million dollar question. Does anyone still make and sell these wire eyecup loupes that you can just drop over your glasses? I'm down to my last one and it's going to have an AKY-DENT any day now.

magnifying loupe by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No flips, no clips, just drop on and squint. Or wear them as a cup monocle with no glasses. Or stand them on the object like a bench lens. Or just hold them in your puddys like a magnifying glass.

They won't bring you a beer, but they will fry ants !

magnifying loupe1 by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went to the eye doc yesterday , know I've got another ' hard to get ' for the list . They no longer make Channel temple glasses with double D lenses . Maybe these will work for me , if they can get them . I'll let you know . Do they come in different focal lengths or power ? Should I say did they ?

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer, you Ol fool, 20 pages of different types of eye loupes on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/eye-lou...s%2Ck%3Aeye%20loupes

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary MacDonald:
I just went to the eye doc yesterday , know I've got another ' hard to get ' for the list . They no longer make Channel temple glasses with double D lenses . Maybe these will work for me , if they can get them . I'll let you know . Do they come in different focal lengths or power ? Should I say did they ?

I don't know what Channel Temple Glasses are. Please expound.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
Here's today's million dollar question. Does anyone still make and sell these wire eyecup loupes that you can just drop over your glasses? I'm down to my last one and it's going to have an AKY-DENT any day now.

This is about as close as I found. https://www.ebay.com/p/5x-Clip...140?iid=381694859265

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know my dentist has one that just clips to his glasses and he just flips them down when he needs them. No adjustment, just flips them down.

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few of those over the years Dave. But they are like other clip on loupes I've had. They are a production to get on and off.
The novelty of those little wire guys is that you can scoop them off the bench and drop them on your glasses without even taking your glasses off in less than a second. And, because they are open, they are easy to clean. Just spray them with Windex and wipe both sides of the lens.

Damned old Lambert, just had me flip through 20 pages of Amazonian magnifiers with hope in my heart and of course, they didn't have them! It's probably his revenge for all the arguments that I have won over the years. LOL

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some shooting glasse with flip down round lenses. You can go to your optometrist and find out what diopter your lens is, and buy the lens (which comes in a round metal frame.

Then, I believe you can fabricate the wire frames by yourself, or someone else in the trade. You have all the dimensions right in front of you.

The jig can be fabricated out of hardwood. Heat the correct diameter of wire and bend it around a steel disc (with a groove) .

Just a thought.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may have the name wrong . They have the temple part that wraps around the ear . So when bending over the lathe they don't slide off . Please let me know if I used the wrong term . It could be why I can't find any !
Thanks , Gary

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After trying to read the docs script , it may be cable temple ? Can't read her scribble .

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
You are correct, cable temple. That’s the style I have on my sunglasses.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, thats pretty simple Dave. Because I wear glass, prismatic lenses and not plastic which I destroy in a month. Off work, I wear those small, 40mm round lenses that were once worn by Radar, Col. Potter and John Lennon to keep the weight down. It's a forgone conclusion that those frames haven't been in style since the 1940s. I can still get the frames, no problem. I just order them on line from one of the frame places, give them to my optometrist and he sends them out and has my prescription fitted.

https://www.framesdirect.com/s...t=cable&camefrom=/s/

Now if you guys would just find my damned loupes for me ! LOL

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Speerchucker

The loupe you desire is a very old French style Echarco brand
I found one by searching for a vintage wire frame Loupe
Guy wants $60 for it plus shipping

eBay has a handful if you search by Echarco

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Speerchucker

The loupe you desire is a very old French style Echarco brand
I found one by searching for a vintage wire frame Loupe
Guy wants $60 for it plus shipping

eBay has a handful if you search by Echarco

Thanks. Knowing who made them makes it a lot easier. Now I can do some searches for old stock. I'm also going to talk to my buddy in Hong Kong. The ones that I have been buying are neither antique, or of quality. They come in one of those little cellophane bags with a silicon decedent packet, like most made-in-India trinkets do. I think I was paying about $12 CAD for them.

Rod Henrickson