New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 Safari Magnum Stock
 Login/Join

<Carlos>
posted
I have a project in the works: A CZ 550 Safari Magnum, brand new, in 416 Rigby that I am rebarreling to 450 Rigby. The question is this, do I need to have anything done to the stock, i.e. extra recoil studs added? Any advice would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion, gasoline and matches [Big Grin]

Sorry, I just can't get over the look of that humpback stock. I'm sure it works well, but I just wish they would make a more classic "safari" style as an option.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Carlos>
posted
Shumba:
Sorry, I should have noted in my post that I have the new style stock, no humpback....new and improved classic style with nice straight grain.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
When did they change the stocks on the Rigby? Do you have a picture of yours?

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, please do post a picture. I have one with the humpback stock and can't stand it. Also if there is a part number in your manual for the stock you have, could you provide it? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Carlos>
posted
Longbob & Congomike: The gun is still at the gunshop so I can't post any pix's. Sorry about that. I'll try and see if I can get a picture to post. As for when they changed the stock style I couldn't tell you. To tell you the truth I thought the new Safari Magnum came standard with the classic style stock untill my friend at the gunshop told me of the change, apparently it's very recient.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would double or triple cross bolt the stock and glass bed the action....I would add a barrel recoil lug 5" in front of the action. I would also run the glass bedding to the rear of that barrel recoil lug giveing it clearance on the sides, front and bottom, in other words only contact on the rear of the lug...leave 20 thounsands gap at the rear of the tang.

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
IF it's bedded anything at all like the original hump-backed stocks, all it needs is glass bedding.
It already has a very well designed and made secondary recoil lug and cross bolts.

I disagree with Ray about the rear tang clearance. Five thousanths is more than enough and not nearly as noticeably at the .020 ditch. [Smile]
I personally leave nothing behind the rear tang and prefer to give the metal NO running room at all.

I'm REALLY glad to hear they have a classic stock for that model. The gun is certainly well worth it.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Carlos,

It would be great to see yours because the CZ website is only showing the Humpback for the Rigby. I have one that is currently being restocked by the Great American Gunstock Company. I can't wait to get it back!

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, if you don't like the looks of the factory stock, have a stockmaker reshape it and take the hump out. You can do it yourself if you are reasonably good with a rasp and sandpaper. Look at the thread entitled JudgeG's New Toy. His was originally a factory stock. I'd also add an ebony forend tip and steel grip cap like the Judge.

Right now, I'm reshaping a ZKK-601 in 223. The factory stock looks like a Weatherby. I'm glass bedding, adding a 90 degree ebony tip, steel grip cap, Old English pad, reshaping the triangular forend to round-oval, setting the grip back, and reshaping the comb and rollover cheekpiece to Continental style.

[ 06-09-2003, 22:07: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentleman

Beware of the "standard" straight stock of the CZ550 - the drop of the stock is nothing you want for scope use - way to low - had to laminate almost 1" to the stock to get my scope aligned (but I admit my EAW mounts are very high too).

Ordered a 3-piece laminate stock from AHR because now the stock doesn't make me happy anymore.

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Carlos>
posted
I have digital pictures of the CZ 550 stock. Never posted pictures before. Can anyone leed me through how to post them in a reply?

one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ says the 550 American is stocked for a scope, but I get a perfect stock weld every time with an Ashley rear sight on my 9.3x62. Ashley sights are a little taller than traditional aperture sights and a lot taller than most open sights. Also, the factory pad on my American is a full 1" thick. Americans I have seen in lighter calibers have a thinner pad. Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carlos:
I have digital pictures of the CZ 550 stock. Never posted pictures before. Can anyone leed me through how to post them in a reply?

Carlos,

You first need to have the pics uploaded to a website. If you don't have web space available, email the pictures to me and I'd be happy to put them on my web space and post them for you. I'm really curious to see that stock [Smile]

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daydreamer:
Gentleman

Beware of the "standard" straight stock of the CZ550 - the drop of the stock is nothing you want for scope use - way to low - had to laminate almost 1" to the stock to get my scope aligned (but I admit my EAW mounts are very high too).

Ordered a 3-piece laminate stock from AHR because now the stock doesn't make me happy anymore.

Franz, I've seen that stock you refer to in CZ's Czech website. It has an angled comb with LOTS of drop. [Eek!]

CZ does not import that stock style to the US. All CZ rifles sold in the US have either the schweinrucken or the classic American (no drop on the comb) stock styles.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote