New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to level the scope reticles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best tool to use to level your scope reticle, apart from looking at corners of rooms, hanging stuff from the ceiling and all the other home made gizmos.

Thanks,

Reddy375

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much $$$$ do you want to spend?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Level the action using what ever feature you want. Add the scope and sight it at a plumb line.
Leveling the action may require that you hold it in a vise so it does not move while installing the scope.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I lay a small 6" steel rule across the top of the base and align the scopes horizontal cross hair to that.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I look through the scope, and when the cross wires are perfectly alinged vertically and horizontally, I cinch down the ring screws.

Don

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Time for my own "take" / what I use. I get the rifle steady in a gun vise with everything else worked out first. Eye relief correct for the shooter, ready to do the final screw tightening, etc. Once I think the reticles are level (using tricks like in the previous posts) I back off a little and, holding my head level I switch eyes. That is, I look with left eye closed and then right closed. What I look for is the horizontal crosshair seeming to tilt slightly upward on the right-hand side with my right eye closed, and vide versa with the left eye closed. If it seems equally tilted, I call it good.

The other suggestion is to buy a scope level.

Barry

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually the plum bob and level, but for problem cases, sometimes I use the "look the wrong way method"

Get a black line on a white surface on the floor, put the highest and lowest point of the butt on the line and look through the scope backwards, then line up the x hair to the black line.

(make REAL sure you unload the gun first)

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read about a home made dilly the other day ,someone had taken a wooden dowel rod the diameter of a scope,drilled a smaller hole in the middle and had this long skinner rod dowel running out to the end of the barrel,this was to aline the rings with the barrel,then they claimed you could look thru a scope with a mirror on the other end and aline the crosshairs where they come together,if there not right,the mirror will show a double set of crosshairs,you turn the scope until the 2 crosshairs line up as 1?I have not tried this trick,but thought the dowel rod was pretty nifty.I usually try to just take my time and play & adjust until iam satisified the crosshair is level,after shooting a bit,if i decide its off a smidge,i just retry..Once my rifle is shooting perfect,i leave it all alone...except to tighten it down as far as i can with out over tighting and snapping the screws off... hilbily
I try to make sure my rifle is sighted in deadnuts on and then i dont worry about anything ,except concentrateing on makeing the shot as best i can.....like a old timer told me one time,experminting with different loads & bullets with your new rifle to find out what it likes the best..is half the fun of shooting...and makes for a great shooting rifle.

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Level the action using what ever feature you want. Add the scope and sight it at a plumb line.

FWIW, that's how I do it.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the action in a vice and mount the bases and then use a level to set the action. i mount the scope in the rings and get them just tight enough i can move the scope and place the level on top of the elevation adjustment(since the verticle line of the reticle should bisect it) rotating the scope until level. tighten and recheck.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Eyeball it. That is what you will be doing, each time you shoot it.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the experts here have confused me. In simple terms that I can understand, how do I level the rifle? Seems to me that once the rifle is level, then any plumb line or level can be used to square the scope. Please!

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
All the experts here have confused me. In simple terms that I can understand, how do I level the rifle? Seems to me that once the rifle is level, then any plumb line or level can be used to square the scope. Please!

What are you talking about. Mine is the simplest method of all. Doesn't require leveling the gun. Takes all of 5 seconds. Longer if you include tightening the screws. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the best tool to use to level your scope reticle, apart from looking at corners of rooms, hanging stuff from the ceiling and all the other home made gizmos.

Thanks,

Reddy375

I guess no one read my Q Smiler I was asking "what is the best tool". Thanks.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best 'TOOL' that I have ever used was to close my eyes, shoulder the rifle, open my eyes, align scope to eye...

Unless we are going to go to the trouble of having a stock custom fit to our face, which is what I have ended up doing more and more often on my own rifles, we are going to have to sacrifice either levelness of scope, or fit of rifle.
Personally I am far more interested in whether or not my cross hairs are level to my eye instantly when I bring the rifle to my shoulder.
Usually they end up canted justa slight bit to the right on a stock that has no cast off.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
quote:

Thanks,

Reddy375

I did, and I said the best tool is a straight edge. A little cheap 6" machinists rule. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks,

Reddy375

Whatever bench vise is appropriate and a small level. You do not need an application specific tool.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with the "level level level" from wheeler engineering. It has a level that bridges the bolt raceway and a level that sits on your elevation turret and when both bubbles are in the center you know that you are square.

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easiest way is to look from the muzzle end, I usually rest the butt on the ground have a peep.

99.9999 of you don't need me to tell you that the rifle shouldn't be loaded when doing this - am I wrong in reminding the 0.0001%?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks,

Reddy375

(Segway Scope Leveler) . Has horizontal marks
and a small flat bar that lays across scope
bases, atached via a rubber band around action.
Simple around $20 and works well. You put
device on with scope screws loose, look thru
scope & level it.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/segway_reticle_leveler.htm

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the best tool is a level.

put the scope in the rings (or bottom half if horizontally split) on the bases and determine eye relief, mark scope tube in reference to one of the rings

in a padded vise, level the rifle across the bases (or across the bottom half of one of the rings if horizontally split) using a decent level, like a small Starrett

put the scope in the rings, referencing the eye relief to the previously made mark

just snug the ring screws to secure the scope tube enough so it can still be turned in the rings

place the level across the top turret and bring the turret to level

tighten the screws

check it

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like tin cans way,that sounds perfect to me.I also agree with bucko and hog killer,it doesnt do any good to square anything if it looks caddy wampus when you look into the sight with your eye....thats why i fiddle and shoot until iam sure iam satisfied ive got her right,I will loosen one up in a minute and redo it if i dont have confidance in the scope set up,I have used all the store bought levels and they worked fine for me as well/zero is zero...I have also known a crack shot lefty that canted his rifle just a little and had his scope mounted so it was level with his cant style,even though his natural tendency was to cant the rifle a bit...it worked for him/no problems... fishing
Old habits are hard to break,I still like to look at a level 2x4 or level line on a tile wall or hand rail/Door frame,etc. just to see the scope lines ,line up at the ends,thats the old way before the internet and all the info thats out there now,I also have heard folks useing laser beam bore sighters but i have never tried that to get on paper,i still just look down the bore and bore sight the old way.
"Tools,we Kentucky windage raised rifleman dont need no stinking tools to see how to shoot thru a scope,LOL" lolThis is a good post,i enjoyed it... beer Good luck!

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ideas here. Now, how do you get the old style Weaver rings right the first time. It always takes me three times, until I lower my expectations to match my abilities.

I don't worry about getting my scope perfectly level, but I do make sure my target stand is level. That way, my rifle may be canted, but it canted the same way every time.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bja if it only takes you three tries your doing good.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
Lots of good ideas here. Now, how do you get the old style Weaver rings right the first time. It always takes me three times, until I lower my expectations to match my abilities.

The best way to align the weaver rings the first time is to stand behind them and carefully take aim at the shit can.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I installed a scope last night. For the 'nth time, I used the Segway Reticle Leveler and it took 10" to align the reticle.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Eyeball it. That is what you will be doing, each time you shoot it.

Keith

Bingo! thumb
Give that man a cigar!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac
one of us

Posted 20 April 2009 09:32 Hide Post
I lay a small 6" steel rule across the top of the base and align the scopes horizontal cross hair to that.

Posts: 1839 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007

It's kind of what I do sort of !. Eeker

I have a universal any Rifle bench rest that I made . It has a permanent plumb wire out near the muzzle

end of the rest , It blends perfectly with a #4 German reticle at that distance . So you can see if

It's out of whack .The yoke or saddle and the stock vice move on a true center track so as to adjust

for any size or length of Rifle . I first set up the Rifle Bench level

I then level the action both ways not the barrel or the stock Just the action with a machinist bubble .

Then I lock the Rifle in nothing moves . Install and align rings lay in the scope with a drop of

locktite on the bottom rings only check plumb wire too reticule . GOOD to Go , leave it for a few

minutes place ring caps on and alternately tighten caps with a torq driver .

Then without moving anything open my door slip in my laser bore sight adjust the scope

for whatever setting I want . ( I have a target on my shop wall outside the door exactly 25 Yd. away )

I'll tell you it may sound complicated and unnecessary but it isn't !.

The Best part is that laser bore sight . I can adjust on the wall for 25 Yd. too 1200 yd .

Every single time I shoot a Rifle after using that thing , the target has holes centered

and no more than 1/2" high or low for point of impact . It's NOT ME it's that laser sight !!!.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:

I don't worry about getting my scope perfectly level, but I do make sure my target stand is level. That way, my rifle may be canted, but it canted the same way every time.

With the old style weaver rings, that have only the 2 screws on the side, put a little square of double sided tape on the bottom of the ring first and the scope won't turn on you when you tighten it down. Having said that, like Westpac I cannot see ever using them again unless I'm making a 60's era period piece.

Even if I live t be 200.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
The lines are supposed to be horizontal and vertical? I thought they were supposed to make and X. Damn. How do you level the crosshairs again? Wink

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks,

Reddy375

Reddy,

By now you can see there are a bunch of different ways to level a scope. Personally, I am not so much concerned about the recticule being level than I am with the recticule being square with the bore. If the barrel is not directly under the scope the bullet is going to be going left to right as well. There are a few gizmos you can use- scope collimator, bore sighter, etc but a simple way of doing it is to simply put the gun in a cradle and aim it at a mirror about 15 feet away and adjust the scope so the vertical post goes through the image of the muzzle in the mirror.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of these suggestions will work, some take longer than others.

The easiest way I found is use a bore sighter (not laser).

By making sure that the vertical/horizontal on the bore sighter graph and the scope ring are lined up your scope is level.

And your first shot will be on target.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
The lines are supposed to be horizontal and vertical? I thought they were supposed to make and X. Damn. How do you level the crosshairs again? Wink

thumb thumb
clap

One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
You guys are confusing me now. Are the cross hairs supposed to be level or plumb. rotflmo

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wino:
You guys are confusing me now. Are the cross hairs supposed to be level or plumb. rotflmo

depends on whether you shoot target or gangsta style.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several of my rifles have Picatinny bases on them. Attach the rings to the base. I place the rifle with the scope base and attached rings in my machine rest and tie it down with a length of latex tubing I use for bedding actions. Keeps it nice and tight. Then I get the base level from front-to-back by sliding the rear bag back and forth under the butstock. Next, I adjust the screwfeet of my rest to level the set-up side-to-side with small bubble levels that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's placed on the scope bases. Now that the rifle is level-level, I take away the level on the Pic base, lay the scope in the rings and gently put the top rings on and start to screw them down in a criss-crossing pattern to keep the gap between the top and bottom rings about even. I have another level on the top turret of the scope to make sure it stays level. I adjust if things start to slip a bit. I slowly screw down the rings, checking the bubble level on the top turret as I go. It takes maybe ten minutes to do the job...

Six pictures ought to be enough. You get the idea...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I use an EXD Vertical Reticle Instrument

which I have verified has a true bubble

and fits over the scope tube and barrel

I clamp the rifle in a padded vise pointing out the door to a 4' level sitting on a fence 30 yards out and

• Take all the cant out of the rifle by leveling the EXD device
  • Rotate the scope so the reticle is level with the 4' level 30 yards out
  • Carefully tighten down the rings keeping both the EXD level and the reticle level (not easy to do)

While I am doing this I install and level a ScopLevel and this will enable you to shoot with a level reticle and relevel your scope much easier if you ever move it.

Works for me and takes the guesswork out of it.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote