New
Find
Notify
Tools

458-how many lugs and crossbolts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, asking this because just read something about it on the bigbore forum (think that was where I just was).

My .458 is supposedly going to be done someday, if it is finished it will have a recoil lug and a crossbolt. Is this enough? It weighs around 10lbs, simple Bishop stock, no fancy grain. 1917 Winchester with an Apex barrel.

What really pisses me off is that I specifically asked for double crossbolts, but when I saw it about a month ago it had a single crossbolt. Granted it was done nicely, with rosewood plugs covering the bolt on the outside, it still was just one.

Thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would put two. And a second recoil lug on the barrel. And with an Enfield, maybe a third behind the rear tang (mine will have a hidden one there).

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why an extra one behind the tang for the enfield?

I am guessing the recoil lugs have to be welded on, so I will have to have the shop do that. I was thinking of doing the crossbolt myself, except they put nice rosewood caps over the one they installed and that is beyond my ability.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at that big, wide tang like a splitting maul. The two front crossbolts will be exposed, but the third will be hidden behind grain matched plugs. "Belt AND suspenders" is kind of my motto, so it may be overkill...

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago,
Be sure you have and an extra recoil lug about 5 inches down the barrel...A cross bolt behind the actions recoil lug and another in front of the trigger or behind the magazine box, however you view it...That is the norm and proven method...

Glass bed the action and 2"'s of the chamber....glass bed the "rear only" of the barrel lug, not the sides or bottom. Leave 20 thousands gap behind the tang...The only purpose of cross bolts is to keep the action from spreading at the shot as that is what splits the recoil mortise and tang.

You may have a cross bolt inletted and glasse behind the magazine box, it just may not be visable...A hex head bolt and nut can be glassed into that area without showing..

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote