THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DidHart make CroMoly Barrels at one time?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was sold a barrel blank by an older gentleman recently that he says is a Hart blank. It is a .22 rimfire, looks very good, and is an uncontoured blank. It is cro moly. He said he had purchased it over 20 years ago, and it was a Hart. No markings on it, as the breech has been turned down and faced off to start threading it for an action. I have no reason to question what he said, the barrel looks good, and he sold it for a giveaway price so he wasn't trying to scam me. However, I know how memories are after 20 years....

Hart doesn't make cro moly barrels now, did they at one time?

Thanks,
dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The key is probably WHICH Hart, there were 2 of them. I'm not familiar with the details though.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only Clyde and his son PJ made barrels.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
As I understand it the Hart in NY makes barrels and the one in PA is the gunsmith. I was told they are cousins.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:

Yes, and as far back as 1968, all they made were SS barrels. Never heard them mention making CM barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
As I understand it the Hart in NY makes barrels and the one in PA is the gunsmith. I was told they are cousins.

Both Hart Rifle Bbls and RW Hart in Nescopeck, PA do gunsmithing. I've had rifles made by Hart Rifle Bbls. Jerry Hart, PJ's son, does the gunsmithing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:

Yes, and as far back as 1968, all they made were SS barrels. Never heard them mention making CM barrels.

According to their history page they started using stainless right from the get-go in 1953.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of your experiences back up what I thought. I'll verify that it is indeed cro-moly (it's not rused, but where it's turned, it looks like it's oxidized) by using a bit of rust blue and see what develops. If it's cro-moly, I'll know it's definitely not a hart. Not a lot of difference to me, I'll use it and see how it does.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote