New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my new Montana short today
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ordered 2 stainless short actions in the charter offering. Both are going to be barreled by Montana Rifleman. One is in 6.5-270 WSM and the other 25-270 WSM. The 25-270 is at Serengeti Stockworks getting a stock on it right now. The 6.5-270 I received a couple of weeks ago. I got a Tupperware stock and made it fit. Then loaded 50 rounds and went to the range. The main purpose for the visit was to brake in the barrel.
I did the 1 shot and clean routine. To my surprise and delight after the 7th round there was no copper fouling for the rest of the rounds. The grouping was a different story though. I had terrible vertical stringing. I know that this is the stock and not the action or the barrel. It will not wear this stock for long. I am waiting to see the stock from Serengeti Stockworks before I decide what to stock this one with. But you know how it is with big boy toys; (You can't wait to use them)

I was very pleased with the action finish and barrel work on this action. One thing though, while I was waiting for the Tupperware stock I just put the barreled action in the safe. I made the mistake of not oiling it and Montana's barrels must have a lot of carbon in them as I have several small rust spots on the exterior of the barrel now. This was my mistake, as I know better than to leave anything unprotected.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alloy steel is primarily iron. It's iron that forms FeO and not carbon. Steel is "low carbon" iron. The amount of carbon in that barrel is about 0.4% The surface may have been contaminated with something or not protected with oil.

The Bell & Carlson standard Carbelite stocks are very easy to work and don't cost much. The ones that I have done here seem to shoot better than the tupperware stocks or even wood stocks. You might consider one of these as a rough conditions stock for the rifle that will wear the Acrabond stock. The B&C stock might fit both rifles as well.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`m glad to hear reports on the Montana short actions, expecially when they wear a Montana barrel. I have one coming - std bolt, CM, short action - that I told them to barrel in 6.5x284 and hope it shoots as well as I`ve heard their barrels do.

35nut, did you have them blue the action/barrel also? How did it turn out? I`ll have to remember to make sure I have it oiled up well before I put mine up as I will be waiting awhile before I stock mine. I`m still unsure if I want to go with wood or not on mine.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35nut - the Montana stainless barrel rusted? Or did you have a CM barrel put on the stainless action? I ask because I am having them put a stainless barrel on my stainless short action, and I was hoping it'd be more rust-proof.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel now has several vary small discoloration�s over about a 4" area just forward of the stock. I also have a Shilen and two Hart barrels that have miner spots on them also, but they were subject to some vary fowl weather out on the ocean a couple of times.
And yes they are all stainless.
Stainless is not bullet proof, Just a little more bullet resistant.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm - I could understand the rust when exposed to salt water and foul weather for an extended period, but I have had stainless handguns for years and never gotten a spot of rust on them, even from leather holsters in the rain. I did always wipe them down as soon as possible, though. (I know that stainless is not immune to rust completely.)

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll keep an eye on my Montana action and barrel.