New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeffery in a Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it difficult to get a 404 Jeffery in a standard large ring mauser? Will the standard magazine box accomodate the large round so it will feed properly? I am fighting the desire for a 404 but if I can't take it anymore maybe I will put one up on one of several mauser actions I have laying around.

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
<just to stir the pot> It's REALLY easy to get a 416 taylor into one.

Sure, you can do it, the round is design for it, and Ray will think the better of you for it rather than a 416.

Search in the bigbores forum on exactly that, 404 mauser

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From all that I have read, no, the magazine box won't work. The Jeffery requires one that is longer and wider at both ends.

As Jeffe pointed out though, the Taylor will work; with a little filing, you can fit three in the box, and maybe close the bolt on one too. Lots of ooomph from a standard length action, and a lot cheaper (those new mag boxes will run you $400). Try it, you'll like it. More 416 bullets too.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
It has been my experience that the standard action Mauser can be used for the 404 Jeffery just as easily as one for a short belted magnum case. Remember that all of the standard 98's were were for the non-belted variety of cases. To make any of the belted cases and the Jeffery case feed you will have to do some severe work to the action feed rails and the magazine box. So it is a no brainer, choose the one you want. More "standard" 98 Mausers were modified to work with the 404 Jeffery round than were ever modified for belted Magnums. Most of the ones that were modified were for H&H belted magnums of various ilk. It is a no brainer on choice of bullets, 416's are easier to find. This is not a varmint round and I doubt that the cost difference of premium bullets will be that significant in its lifetime.
lb404