Find
Notify
Tools

Pleasing stocks for 1903 Springfields?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just wondering what some of the fellows here have come to admire in the way of stocks for Springfields. My father recently passed, and left me his old elk rifle, which has the military stock whittled down with an old early 1950s ventilated red recoil pad on it. I'd like something more classic, and as close to drop in as possible. All comments welcome.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Malloy, thanks so much for that! Michael Petrov has been very helpful to me.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

He's one of the very most helpful folks I've ever encountered. One of the good guys.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not drop ins, but GAG has a pretty nice selection of classic style semi-inlets for Springfields. There are others here who would tell you to stay away from GAG, but, over the years I've used a half dozen or so of their stocks and was happy with what I got.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Malloy805

Those are the most stunning examples of 1903-s I have ever seen in one place.

Outstanding in every aspect. tu2

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigsster
What is GAG?

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great American Gunstocks. Several people say they have had issues with them. I never have and have had lots of issues with Boyds and Richards.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfcjr:
Craigsster
What is GAG?

http://www.gunstocks.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
quote:

He's one of the very most helpful folks I've ever encountered. One of the good guys.
Regards, Joe

+100 on that. Michael is one great guy. His book is a great resource.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
...I never have and have had lots of issues with Boyds and Richards.
Don

boyd's is terrible. I had very good results with the one transaction I had with Richards.

GAG has some pretty wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Malloy805

Those are the most stunning examples of 1903-s I have ever seen in one place.

Outstanding in every aspect. tu2

.With a couple of token Mausers thrown in the mix

Cal30

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I found Mr Petrov while doing research on the .400 Whelen which I have a hankering to build.
He wrote an excellent article on the .400 Whelen, very informative and well written.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .400 Whelen info is here:
.400 Whelen

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1796 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote