New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best scope mount for Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for base and rings for 09 Argentine. What would you guys prefer. Aint never gonna use the open sights after everything is on. Right now its chambered for the 765. That'll change someday,maybe. Depends on how it does. Its gonna be a hunter. So whats the best or what are you usin?

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go with a Leupold type windage base, one or two piece, re-contour the rear bridge to remove the charger slot and then go with the FN ones and drill and tap the receiver to match.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I find the one-piece Leupold base works best on military Mausers because it compensates somewhat for variations in bridge dimensions often found on actions of differnt makers and production runs. Two-piece bases are not quite as good at that. If you grind the rear bridge you may end up needing custom or semi-custom mounts.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess the Leupolds mounts are the way to go. Thanks guys

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I've had too much trouble from the mounts with windage screws on each side of the base to trust them very much. Use a good side mount like a Griffin & Howe or Jaeger. Avail. from NECG outfit.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the website Surplus Guns a writer did an article on putting a side mount on a 98
It looked really nice and fairly simple

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

EGW, http://www.egw-guns.com/ makes a picatinny base for the 98 mauser. You might want to check them out. They only cost $39.99. I have one and it looks real good.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with the Burris signature line of scope mounts. The bases are basically leupold type bases, and I believe are interchangeable with leupold (in other words leupold rings fit burris bases and burris rings fit leupold bases). Where the system shines is the fact that once you get the bases installed you have a little bit of leeway through the use of plastic rings inside the scope rings. they come in various sizes. Another benefit of this system (and the one I like the best) is that when you decide to change scopes and you want to sell the scope or give it to someone, the scope is in pristine condition rather than having unsightly ring marks on it. All in all a great system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found 1 quick release leupold ring in my junk box, if I look hard enough I could probuly find the other. Any body has any experience with QR rings and bases. I looked in Leupold catalog and they have 2 piece bases. Big Dog I'll check EGW out also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have them on a 270win. No problems, scopes been on and off plenty with no zero change.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the Griffen & Howe and Jaeger spendy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that #45 rear and #46 Weaver two piece mounts [using narrow shims and bedding fixture], can be epoxied into the same plane parallel to the bore. When the epoxy is hard, the mount screws can be tightened with Loctite.
With Burris 6 screw rings and 1/2" nut, the mount/rings/scope set up can be solid enough for maintaining zero when roughly transporting in a soft case.

If the scope is short or some weird mounting is wanted, a #402 in the front can be used.

#402 for front in extended operation

[
#46 for front

#45 for rear

The EGW one piece Weaver - Picatinny is $40 and you have to reach around with ammo, but it takes less skill to mount, if the holes are drilled 5.182" center to center.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote