Find
Notify
Tools

Win Model 70 bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted
I have a Winchester Super Shadow in .270 WSM. It is a good shooter, but wondering if bedding the action and barrell is worth while in the plastic.... thoughts? Also, how dificult is this process to do myself? How much wwould a typical gunsmith charge for these services?
Thanks in advance for your responses.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well IMO if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A good glass jobe will run $75 to a $100 bill.

You can do it yourself if your good at such things and can follow directions, we all started with the first rifle.

If it was my first job then I would glass the tang, recoil lug and one inch of the barrel channal and freeflot the forend by hand.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also I might suggest that you put two layers of tape on the sides, front and bottom of the recoil lug in a M-70 so that the only contact is on the rear of the recoil lug. This only applies to a Win. M-70 IMO.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rayderluvr,I bought the same rifle in the same caliber and bedded it myself a short while ago.I used a product called Bed Rock.It had a black die to color the compound black and the job came out perfectly.I find it also added some stiffness to the area of the stock bedding the action.This is a extremely light weight stock with little stiffnesss.I taped the recoil lug and filled the recess half way with compound.I also used a bit in the tang area.I feel that bedding was really necessary with this rifle as there was plenty of free space in the lug recess that caused the action to move back and fourth.I have not shot the rifle since buying it so I cannot tell what improvement if any occured.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I may try to bed it myself.....Atkinson is right, I won't learn any younger!
Red Face)

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote