New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question, 30-06 to 35 Whelen?
 Login/Join

<bjk>
posted
I have been thinking that I really need a 35 Whelen. Not having a great deal of luck finding one in a new/used firearm, I thought of having one built. First I thought I would have an Eddystone turned into one, certainly doable(I beleive), but then I thought about having a barrel rechambered. What kind of work would having a 30-06 barrel cut to 35 Whelen be (can it be done)? I have a Sig SHR 970 and could pick up a barrel in 30-06. If rechambering is possible, this might make for a nice extra barrel for my Sig.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
You would have to rechamber AND rebore that .30 caliber barrel. Probably cheaper to buy a new .35 caliber barrel.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You can have a 30-06 barrel rebored to 35 cal and then chambered to 35 Whelan. It will usually cost as much to do that as buying a new barrel.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bjk>
posted
The Sig has an interchangeable barrel system, I think if I choose this gun to do this project with, I have to use one of there barrels. Otherwise it might be much more expensive. If rebarreling costs $250 and rchambering cost $250, I think I would rechamber. Any thought would be very helpful.

Thanks for the replies, so far.

Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not try a Midway barrel. I think they are around $100. You might also try the ole vz24 action.The buy an A & B barrel and stock from Midway with blueing around $350.

[This message has been edited by Frank Martinez (edited 04-09-2002).]

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Remington made the .35 Whalen at one time.You might try going to "GUNSAMERICA,COM.You might locate one there,or the gun list.
1geejay
http://www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
bjk,

I have a .35 Whelan built on a Mauser M98 action and restocked. It has an aperture rear sight.

I could make you a deal if you are interested.

Doesn't SIG catalog a 9.3X62 barrel for that change barrel gun of yours?

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<bjk>
posted
Not sure if it is chambered in another model, but the website only has a few standard calibers listed for the SHR 970. I sent them an email to confirm.

Thanks for the possible heads up!

Brian

[This message has been edited by bjk (edited 04-10-2002).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
find a good 98 action (i used a 24/30 venezuelan fn) get a barrel from gunparts or midway, modify the bolt, stock it, sight it,etc and you're good to go.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm going to the expense of building a rifle I'd do it right and use the best of parts like a Lothar-Walther barrel, good Mauser action..but no short cuts....

Have you considered a Rem. 7400 pump rifle in 35 Whelen, there is always one foe sale in the gunlist and they sure do shoot good.

Also, there are several in the latest gunlist as I recall..Mausers.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41877 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote