New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 to 6.5/284???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a real hankering for a short,light deer rifle in a wildcat chambering.Full custom may be too rich for me. What about buying a Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5 Swede and getting it rechambered to 6.5/284? I think the chamber will clean up.Or what about rechambering a Rem 700 LSS Mountain Rifle from 260 to 6.5/284? Or is the short Remington "really" long enough for this cartridge?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
The reamer should clean out the 6.5x55 chamber. You can put this cartridge into a short action, but like the 6.5 Remington Mag. you will be hampering performance with the longer bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The short Remington is too short to really work well. I really think the 6.5x55 is a better cartridge but the 6,5/284 will work as a rechamber. The featherweight would be my choice due to the action length considerations. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<kailua custom>
posted
Dear Rembo, Remember, the 6.5-284 holds about the same amount of powder as the 6.5-06. Roughly 55-57 grs. A short 21" or 22" barrel is going to be a little short for the best powder utilization. Ideally, if you can find it, is the SA Win 70. I found one in a gun show for 175.00. The magazine box has a filler at the rear that, when removed, gives you a 3.100 over all length for the cartridge. You can then seat the bullets out to use the full capacity of the case. The Rem 700s and their 2.850 mag. is just a bit too short and you will be seating the long slender bullets rather deeply into the case, limiting the amount of powder you can use. The longest 284 wildcat I have been able to put in a Rem 700 SA and get good results is the 25-284. Aloha, Mark[in Ore]