New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 710 Non-recall
 Login/Join

<gamecock>
posted
Got a call at the shop yesterday concerning Rem's 710 'binding' action. This is not a recall, but if customers complain about the hitch in the action the gun should be returned to Rem for smoothing. What the hell kind of customer service is that? Of the two I've seen, both would bind and if worked quickly as in a field situation they's lock up tighter than Nellie's hat band. No clue as to what Rem has in mind to solve the problem, maybe someone out there does.

<DuaneinND>
posted
Don't buy one!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree don't buy one. Don't encourage manufacturers to try and pawn off junk on us. They are cheap looking and feeling. They use plastic parts wherever they can. A plastic trigger guard and bolt shroud. Nasty!! Now we hear that the bolt doesn't move properly? So, they look bad and don't work properly, what a bargain! They are designed for the occasional deer hunter. If you are truely that strapped for money, get a surplus military sporter. You would get a better rifle for less money. In fact if the bolt binds up a spear would be more effective!! Forget this rifle exists.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
Just wait 'til the barrels come whizzing out of the receivers - it's bound to happen one day. I have a strong feeling that Remington will be trying very hard to forget "that 710 flop" not too many years down the road...

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wondered about their decision to use a pressed in barrel also, Mats.

It has worked well for H&K for a long time, but it really puts a kink in trying to replace the barrel! Not many smiths will have a press and the fixtures required.

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
Sam,

As I recall, H&K have both more "meat" arond the joint and a couple of lockpins. Ansch�tz have a few pressed-in rimfire barrels too, but we're not talking handloaded .308's there.

However, I think that machining the bbl out (could be done with a hacksaw and a drill press if need be) and threading the receiver for a "normal" bbl would be quite feasible. However, with the going rate of a 710, it'd probably be best to sell the stock and use the remains as a tomato stake...

-- Mats

<Mats>
posted
Uhmm, I just did my homework... Since the bolt locks into the bbl itself, maybe the latter will stay in the receiver...

BTW, real fancy 3-D presentation on Rem's website.

-- Mats