New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock for M95 Dutch Mannlicher
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know where I can get a M95 Dutch Mannlicher carbine. The metal is in excellent condition however the stock is a goner due to sporterization and black wrinkle paint. It would make a nice open sight rifle rebarrelled and restocked in the English style. I have always wanted one of these but I have no idea how to get a stock made for it.
The current stock could furnish a pattern for the inletting. Can a different stock be used for the pattern to shape the exterior?
thanks
EDG

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this:
http://www.gunstocks.com/bargrifs.html
I know some folks cuss GAG, but others are happy.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can help you out with this project, we do this type of work for people who can't find the stock they are looking for.
www.northwoodgunstock.com
drop me a e-mail and tell me what you are looking for in a stock style. We can match it up with your action as long as you have a stock that we can inlet from for your action type.
Tim

Posts: 62 | Location: Wirt, MN | Registered: 21 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Ireload2, if you are interested in pursuing this, I have a couple of english built sporters on the Dutch action in 6.5x53r. I talked to Northwoods when I saw this, about duplicating one of the stocks. If you are interested in getting one for you at the same time, drop me a pm.
If you want to see what the stock looks like, go to www.vintagedoubles.com and look at the Grant 6.5, my stock is identical except for the cheekpad.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee440,
The Grant rifle is pretty much what I had in mind.
I have to cross my fingers and hope the Steyr shows up again at the gunshow. Do you have any idea what such a stock costs to get turned and inletted? It would be a long term project for me since I would have to get it rebarrelled too.
Do you have any knowledge of other cartridges used in the Dutch action? I have seen a Dutch rifle in new unfired conditon that was in some rimmed 8MM. I later learned it was intended for a machine gun crew.

EDG

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
They were also done in 303 British and .375 express which ballistically is similar to the 38-55. I have one that was rebarrelled to 303 and it shoots well. I am not familiar with an 8mm round but anything is possible as long as the rim diameter and overall length are close. As to cost, Northwoods usually charges around $135 to set up to duplicate a customers stock, plus the cost of the wood. I suspect they might have some fairly plain wood available for $50, so the cost of the stock would be half of the setup fee plus the wood, but if we had anyone else that needed one the cost could come down, we would just have to talk to them. Let me know, and anyone else who might be interested is welcome to get in on it. Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee440,
Thanks for the information. That is more affordable than I expected. I may know by next weekend if the M95 is still for sale. Sounds like I have to take this more serious now.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Anyone else who might be interested in doing one of these can pm me and we can get the final price. Lee

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
guys,
i have 2 of these rifles both serial nums, were with a B then the number which means that it was made by george gibbs of bristol i guess from what I.M.Crudgington told me gibbs made many of these rifles for the trade both of mine are 6.5 53r i dont have the clips that you need to load the cartridge so i have never fired either one
ken waters of rifle magazine did an article on these rifles in his "favorite rifles" articles a few years ago i picked one up at a gunshow and one was on the "garbage rack" at a well known gun store in maine that gun was in 90% condition as was my first one......paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Paul, since you don't have clips... do you want to sell them?(lol!). I dont have many of them but if you pm me your address, I will mail you one. Brass is available from Buffalo Arms and I use regular 6.5x54 dies with no problems. My Army & Navy has an oversize bore(not uncommon) and I use Hornady 160 gr, rn that are .268 from Graff & Sons. Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a guy in texas that recently made me 100 rounds of 6.5x58port my next order was 6.5x53r seeing that i dont reload one of these rifles sold at greg martin auctions for around 1200 it was retailed by rigby i think i,ll pm you thanks ....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote