THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for 6-48 or 8-40 Flat Head screws?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody know of a source for Flat Head Socket Head (hex or torx®) 6-48 or 8-40 screws?
Fastenall and Fasteners Inc. don't seem to handle any of the extra fine screws used in firearms.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells a scope mounting screw kit with the screws you want, both 6-48 & 8-40, torx and flat, in the one little box.
I used mine just today.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for anybody that has to use Fastenal. They are rude and very expensive. Read this thread
http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50817
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I deal with 15+ Fastenall stores. I cannot think of one manager at any of these stores that would not respond to the customer's complaint.
One thing to consider is when you deal with fasteners there is a huge difference in quality and of course price goes with it.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hairtrigger,
They're is a lot of difference in over $100. for 100 8-32x1 set screws and $7.56. Tell me why Fastenall's set screws are worth $100 more. I buy a lot of fasteners and I am well versed in quality and specs. I made the mistake of going back a second time and they soon reminded me why I left the first time. This was the Dallas store on Jupiter rd. across from Raytheon.
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
Brownells sells a scope mounting screw kit with the screws you want, both 6-48 & 8-40, torx and flat, in the one little box.
I used mine just today.

I might be mistaken but I think those are the socket head screws. He wants the flat head ones.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just spent another 45 min. with the newest Brownell's catalog, came last week. I can find Fillister head screws all over the place but not one Flat Head Socket Head screw. I'm only going to have about .100 grip on my application is the reason that I am seeking extra fine thread screws.

Thanks for the replies.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have an older catalog from microfasteners.com looks like they go UP to 6-32 and 8-32

Same for smallparts.com

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have not tapped the holes yet, the ones that hold the Ruger Rib in place are 8-36's and are available.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
If you have not tapped the holes yet, the ones that hold the Ruger Rib in place are 8-36's and are available.

Jim,

That would work, thanks for the tip.

Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many do you need and what length? Email me!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437