New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Mark V - Remington 700 one piece base
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Mark V Deluxe in .257 Weatherby. I recently sheared off a screw in the front mount of my Leupold two piece set. It was the rear screw in the front mount. It sheared off below the surface of the receiver so another base will sit flush without backing it out.

Since I discovered this problem I have had numerous people suggest that I go to a one piece base, and that the base I should use is the one for a Remington 700 long action. After looking in the Cabela's catalog I noticed that the same product number is listed for the Weatherby Mark V, Remington 700, and a miriad of other rifle actions...must be pretty universal.

My question is this. I don't have the technical know how, or a gunsmith close at hand that I know of that can back the screw out. Can I just go over the top with the Rem. 700 one piece base? How do the screws on a 700 line up with the Mark V action, are there four holes to match up with the action, or are there less holes in the base.

Hope this question makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your question makes sense but your "plan" needs adjusting a bit. You should put a screw in each of those holes. Get the broken stub out.

Except for a possible manufacturing glitch, the mount holes should match.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, if I back the screw out...which I also believe to be the best plan will there be four corresponding holes in the base that correlate with the four holes in the reciever?

Thanks

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should find that the one piece base is attached with only 3 screws, 2 in front and 1 in back. Personally I like the two piece bases.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote