Find
Notify
Tools

Buttplates for skeletonizing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
I'd like to learn how to fit a skeletonized buttplate and grip cap to a stock, but also want to skeletonize the hardware too. Any suggestions on cheap buttplates and/or caps to practice with? I don't want to tear up something nice/spendy just getting started.

I appreciate any suggestions- thanks!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you had some photos that would tell you about all you need. You can scribe the outside shape from the wood .The scribe the inside by using a two point scribe set for 3/16" to 1/4". Make a simple shape to form an extension to the screw hole .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1st learn how to fit a neidner butplate once you can do that it is more or less leaving the middle portion out and checkering it

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Track of the Wolf English Buttplate

This one will be about as good as it gets for building a skeleton plate.

Like Butch said, if you can inlet a Neidner style plate, you can inlet a skeleton one.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use a checkered buttplate to make a skeleton plate.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've often thought of the same thing, and would like to try it on a 1903 Springfield buttplate. These can be had on ebay for $10-20 or so. They are a bit wide, but could easily be shaped to a more streamlined profile.

First thing I would do is to heat and bend the reverse bent toe into a more traditional crescent shape to disguise the military origins.

I'm also intrigued with what might be done with the tang at the heel... lots of material there for a cloverleaf, fluer de leis, or an arrowhead shape.

Or just get a chunk of steel and create one from scratch.

Let us know what you decide, and post photos!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evan,CSMC has a solid buttplate casting for $30. Lots of metal to play with and thick enough to machine into a skeleton buttplate. Suggestion....make a holding fixture the buttplate attaches to for machining.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the replies- thanks all.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Earl Smith:
Evan,CSMC has a solid buttplate casting for $30. Lots of metal to play with and thick enough to machine into a skeleton buttplate. Suggestion....make a holding fixture the buttplate attaches to for machining.

Dennis I found that buttplate and it looks ideal. I thought about cutting into an checkered steel buttplate but would rather use a plain one. Thanks for the suggestions.

quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
Track of the Wolf English Buttplate

This one will be about as good as it gets for building a skeleton plate.

Like Butch said, if you can inlet a Neidner style plate, you can inlet a skeleton one.

dave

Dave even if I don't cut it up, I do like the looks of that buttplate- thanks for the link.

I've inletted a few Winchester 70-style buttplates and am working on a Neidner now and am getting more comfortable with them. I've kept Dave Wesbrook's book out and it has been very helpful. I plan on using his instructions for skeletonizing the buttplate too.

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I did this to a solid McFarland plate http://www.brownells.com/rifle...plate-prod24689.aspx

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at these which I made away back. I use a block of steel forms like the inside of a butt plate and rough in the 1/8 in. cold roll steel with a heat and forge to shape. After these are filed to shape I would use a carbide round hack saw blade to rough out the inside. There are only a couple of the rifles out there somewhere as they were a request from a customer in 1972. The two piece toe and heal pieces are easer to make and look good on a classic rifle.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to skeletonize it anyway, grind the checkering off. The Track of the Wolf plates are plenty thick for that.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you inlet a skeleton grip cap onto a block of walnut. Repeat until you can do it without a gap. Then, move on to a skeleton buttplate.
A Dakota skeleton grip cap (Brownell's) is pretty cheap. Dakota also makes a 2 screw solid grip cap that would work well for skeletonizing.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff and Les, wow those look great! The rifles they're attached to aren't bad either, thanks for sharing. I appreciate the additional info Les, and in-progress photos.

Thanks for the cap suggestions Tommyhawk. The Dakota hardware does look good, I like their swivel studs too.