New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Trigger adjustment questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've not been thorough in my research on this subject, so if I'm asking questions that I shouldn't be - chase me out the door. [Cool]

The instructions for overtravel adjustment and weight of pull are easy to understand. But is there any disassembly and polishing of any internal surfaces that will "better" the trigger and can this be accomplished without a gunsmithing diploma?

Should I stay away from the sear engagement adjusting screw, as is so often recommended?

Is 2.5 pounds the lowest most will go down to and still be 100% safe? i.e. passing the standard tests of ......

12 hard bolt closings.

12 sharp raps on the butt.

12 cycles of cock - safety on - pull trigger - release trigger - release safety?

And a Partridge in a pear tree.
(sorry)

What is commonly used to "lock" in the # and OT screws? Some kind of epoxy? Red fingernail polish seems to be popular. [Roll Eyes]

Is "douching" the whole mechanism with something like WD-40 a good idea or is a light coat of a heavier gun oil better?

================================================

General trigger Q's ...

What's the wisdom on how low a hunting rifles trigger pull weight should be held to? (groundhogs and some summer range work - never gloves)

I know everyone's different and some guys use near BR trigger pull weights, I'm thinking in general and on the average.

The Jewell HVR set at say 12 to 16 ounces ... is this the ultimate varmint / target set up with a very safe operator?

And finally...

Something vaguely related - Should an empty case (primer spent) be in the chamber to cushion the firing pin while performing the above tests?

TIA

TBC

[ 07-20-2003, 11:05: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been able to adust Remington triggers to the 2 lb. range without problems. I prefer a trigger about that range for hunting and general shooting, any lighter and the possibility of an AD is too high.

I use three or four coats of fingernail polish on the screws after they are adjusted. Another important test for the sear engagement is to cock the rifle, engage the safety, pull the trigger and let off, then release the safety. If the firing pin drops then the sear engagement is loo light, increase it about 1/8 turn.

If you do a general WWW search you will find several sites with Remington trigger adjustment tips.

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks busterchops,

A funny quote from a web page concerning adjusting the Remington trigger ...

"The Remington triggers are very good, except they come with a built in lawyer, and he weighs about 9 or 10 pounds."

[ 07-20-2003, 11:06: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have dry fired my remington rifles hundreds of times with no ill effect. Do it at your own peril however. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Chris Jamison
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the WD-40 or ANY oil in your trigger mechanism. Flush it out periodically with lighter fluid, brake cleaner or GunScrubber and leave it dry. Oil accumulates dirt and causes sticky gunk to build up, possibly causing your sear not to reset on cocking.

Posts: 168 | Location: Memphis, TN, USA | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a lighter shade of pink fingernail polish on my trigger adjusting screws. I find the red is just a little gaudy and makes me look cheap.

Fast Ed

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of all three of those tests my Rem700 fails when I close the bolt very quickly. It will cause the firing pin to drop. Which screw should I try to adjust first?? Is the sear engagment too light?? Thanks for any help,
Brandon

Posts: 28 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Blboyd.

The sear engagement is probably too shallow and/or the spring tension may be too light as well. The Remington trigger employs a floating connector which is held in place against the trigger lever by spring tension.

The sear is cut at an angle that unless sufficient engagement and tension is maintained, then the sear will push the floating connector out of position causing an unscheduled discharge of the weapon.

As previously discussed at length on this forum, there are only 3 real options for dealing with the Remington rifle and their triggers. They are, 1) leave the trigger adjusted as it comes from the factory, and keep it clean to avoid any build up from occuring between the floating connector and the trigger lever, 2) have the trigger modified to eliminate the "floating" aspect of the trigger lever/connector, by glue, screw or pin, or 3) replace the trigger with an aftermarket one.

If you lighten the spring tension on an "as is" stock trigger, then you reduce the ability of the spring to hold the floating connector in place and you run the very real risk of having an accidental discharge caused by the floating connector slipping out from under the sear as they make contact.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Molmburg ...

It sounds as though you feel that the Remington trigger is NOT adjustable (from a safety standpoint) as it is delivered from the factory.

If my rifle passes all three tests described above, shouldn't one be able to say that it IS indeed safe?

Comment please?

Mike TBC

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Call me superstitious but doesn't 13 come after 12? [Smile]

Be safe,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Understood.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have adjusted numerous Rem 700 triggers to the two pound range and have never had a single AD. If you are not sure of yourself or don't want to risk it buy Jewell that is preset from the factory at what ever weight you want. If you are impatient or it is beyond your ability to do simple mechanical adjustments then don't try. I fell a blanket statement that the trigger cannot be safely adjusted is incorrect. The reason Remington triggers are set at 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 pounds from the factory is simply, product liability insurance. They are trying to avoid being sued by some knuckle dragger that shoots someone and then blames Remington for selling a gun with too light of a trigger.

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With Quote