New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 340 WBY Barrel Contour
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking of having a 375 H&H, M70 Classic Stainless re-barreled to 340 WBY.

I am trying to decide on barrel contour, and I have questions. I have decided on 25" length.
I am considering a Pac-Nor #3. Any thoughts on this ?
Also considering Pac-Nor do the install.

Another cosideration is a duplicate of BACO M70 338 Win Mag Alaskan stainless with the 25" barrel without the sight bump. Though, I am not sure if the 338 shank / breech is sufficient for the 340 chambering ?
I like this contour, and I think it is the same contour that they used on the BACO 375 Alaskan. But, I don't have one to compare and have only seen 2 in the stainless.

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .340WBY is on a Mark X action and I went with a #4 contour Douglas barrel at the time.

I would prefer the #3 PacNor contour. A little slimmer and lighter than the #4 Douglas. My rifle weighs in at 9 lbs and a 1/2 pound less would be nice.

Can't help with the Winchester profiles or the work Pac Nor does. I like their barrels, but put them on myself.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input. What barrel length did you go with ?
It does appears the Pac-Nor #3 is as heavy as I care to go at 25".

I have considered a 340 WBY for years. Influenced by Bob Hagel and Ross Seyfried writings.

My goal is an honest 2900 fps with the 225 TSX/TTSX, and hopefully accurately. Any thing above that would be excellent, but I have no intention of trying to push things to the absolute red-line.

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I built a 338 RUM on a Model 70 action and used a Lilja #3 barrel.

It worked fine and I'm not sure why I got rid of it!

I wouldn't go heavier, and if doing it now, I might go with duping the factory mag sporter contour.

Posts: 555 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
26" on my .340.

2900fps with a 225 should be really easy in even a 24" tube. I get 2920fps with 250gr Nosler AB's over a charge of 7828 without pushing it. The factory load is a 250gr bullet at 2950. I've never shot 225's out of it.

Keep in mind that there are two reamers available. One with the Weatherby throat, and one with a more standard .338 Winchester throat. Mine has the long throat. Some guys like the shorter throat to get their bullet at least in the same county as the lands. Some say that ups the pressure, and you won't get the Weatherby velocity. Others say this is bunk. I have no idea on that.

I can say that my rifle shoots under an inch with my last load, and that is good enough for me.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lilja barrel on a 375 Ruger and really like it and the set up.

quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
Several years ago I built a 338 RUM on a Model 70 action and used a Lilja #3 barrel.

It worked fine and I'm not sure why I got rid of it!

I wouldn't go heavier, and if doing it now, I might go with duping the factory mag sporter contour.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be going with the current factory freebore. I do not want to take away the flexibility of using factory ammo. Consistent under 1" groups will work for me also.

quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
26" on my .340.

2900fps with a 225 should be really easy in even a 24" tube. I get 2920fps with 250gr Nosler AB's over a charge of 7828 without pushing it. The factory load is a 250gr bullet at 2950. I've never shot 225's out of it.

Keep in mind that there are two reamers available. One with the Weatherby throat, and one with a more standard .338 Winchester throat. Mine has the long throat. Some guys like the shorter throat to get their bullet at least in the same county as the lands. Some say that ups the pressure, and you won't get the Weatherby velocity. Others say this is bunk. I have no idea on that.

I can say that my rifle shoots under an inch with my last load, and that is good enough for me.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My SS M70 in 340 Wby has a 26" fluted #4 Benchmark barrel and has the B&C lightweight stock with the full alumninum bedding block. It wears a Leu 3.5x10x40 in Talley LWs and weighs 8.25 lbs with the mounted scope. It has the standard freebore and and has shot many groups better than 5/8" with 225 TTSXs at 2900 - 3000 fps.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My MKV is from what I can gather a no2 contour. I would prefer slightly beefier for looks and maybe easier load tuning. My 26" shoots factory 250s at 2970 to 2980 or thereabouts. Shoots them right at the 1.25 moa guarantee. I haven't handloaded for this rifle yet as I acquired quite a bit of ammo and I am creating once fired brass. My rifle is 8.5 lbs before the scope and mounts and I would prefer a little lighter. Recoil is stout, but okay and I suspect most handloads will be slightly below factory due to propellant choices. With a lighter action and stock I would aim for 7.5lbs for the bare rifle with possibly a 3 contour 26". I would need to see if that is possible. I agree with the factory freebore reamer and would go for a 1 in 10" twist.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote