Find
Notify
Tools

paraffin oil
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I use paraffin oil as a lube when I use pumice and Rottenstone. Is there any not to use it with 1200-1800 grit wet dry before the powders?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I use paraffin oil as a lube when I use pumice and Rottenstone. Is there any not to use it with 1200-1800 grit wet dry before the powders?

Boy, you must end up with a stock you can see your face in! Smiler

Customstox and jeffeoso probably have more practical experience in using different types of products and techniques, and on a wider variety of woods, than anyone else on here. If either of those guys gives you an answer I would trust it.

Now watch...after I said that they will probably come on here and give diametrically opposed answers. Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boy, you must end up with a stock you can see your face in!

Last thing I would want is to see my face in my stock. Why ruin a pretty piece of wood. LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good success with Paraffin oil as a lub. Up to 40mil taken before bedtime. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I use the finish Im applying to the stock for a lubricant when wetsanding or using rottenstone.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Bill,

When you use the finish (straight or thinned) as a lub do you then wipe it down with a rag or paper towel? Or just leave it?

Will the rottenstone not stick in the finish? I normally use rottenstone to cut the shine before I wax.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
The finish I typically used does not need thinning. When Im done with the rottenstone I soake a paper towel with more finish and clean off all the rottenstone then wipe the stock off completely.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Typically, a non-drying oil or at least a very slow drying oil is used for the rottenstone rubout.

I like paraffin oil, but it's a bit too thick so I cut it with mineral spirits. Mostly I use Linseed (boiled). I prefer the luster of a stock rubbed out with Linseed oil to that of a stock rubbed out with paraffin oil.

The paraffin oil rub out produces a glossy sheen.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The finish I typically used does not need thinning. When Im done with the rottenstone I soake a paper towel with more finish and clean off all the rottenstone then wipe the stock off completely.

Thanks for the info.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K