New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why would someone do this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can't believe that someone would drill holes in a mauser like this.

By the way, I just bought an old 30 Remington that has extra holes from an old side mount. How are these welded up and who can do this kind of work nicely.

Thanks,
josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not they wanted to mount a scope on it. You have a favorite rifle eyes are not good eonugh to use the opens sights any more.

To a lot of people rifles are just tools and any thing that makes them more useful gets the nod.

Most any good gunsmith can weld the holes up then reblue the rife ect. Why spend the money fixing the holes just shoot it as is or put plug screws into them and shoot it.

Function is a lot more important to me then looks.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P dog, that is a Mauser type A in 10.75x68. Its a 5K rifle, minus the Bubba damage. It is a very elegant rifle, not some current factory remchester. It certainly doesn't deserve to have trashy Weaver bases stuck on top.

Its like buying a new Porsche and then sanding down the paint on the hood because of the glare.

As to the Remington model 30, most gunsmiths are not capable of welding up holes and re-maching the surface well. Some Bubba already had a go at this rifle and I won't give him another chance.

The reason I don't leave the holes the way they are is because I don't want to.

josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with you that the Weaver bases certainly don't improve the quality of the rifle and as you mentioned it is a high quality piece and from the photo must be a takedown as well?? I would point out that the earlier response mentioned "good" gunsmith, not just a gunsmith and he would be correct in that respect. As for your Remington, perhaps other than welding/plugging the side mnt. holes, Griffn and Howe might be able to fix you up with suitable mount for the rifle but at a cost.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How else is the owner supposed to put a scope mount on it?

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup...pretty hard to mount bull horns on the hood of a Mercedes without drilling some holes! Big Grin

Posts: 5891 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's another one...not nearly as criminal, but it ruined my lunch all the same. An otherwise very nice original Chilean.....

Posts: 5891 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed:
Here's another one...not nearly as criminal, but it ruined my lunch all the same. An otherwise very nice original Chilean.....

That is the second worst mounting hole alignment I have ever seen. I doubt if there ever was a scope put on that rifle. If the misalignment didn't preclude mounting that bolt handle sure would. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:

That is the second worst mounting hole alignment I have ever seen. I doubt if there ever was a scope put on that rifle. If the misalignment didn't preclude mounting that bolt handle sure would. popcornroger

homer Even I know you have to swing the rear base to the left with that bolt handle.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd bet the holes in the rec ring are too far back. drilled into the lug.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh A.:
I can't believe that someone would drill holes in a mauser like this.

By the way, I just bought an old 30 Remington that has extra holes from an old side mount. How are these welded up and who can do this kind of work nicely.

Thanks,
josh
]

Josh, I'm also partial to the M30's (just got one on Thursday, pretty good shape but someone tried to skim bed the barrel cahnnel and didn't do a very good job, will have to be removed).

My first one was D&T'd for a scope, maybe from the factory, maybe not, but I found the right mount and it looks fine, plus I can shoot it. Why not try to find the correct period mount, if indeed it is period.

A friend had an old Savage 99 in his shop a few years back, it had 6 holes in the left side. I thought it was an attempt at two different side mounts but in actuality there was a mounting system, an Echo mount, that required 6 holes.

Certainly more cost effective that filling and reblue.

BTW, is your M30 a 30-06? How is the caliber marked on the barrel? Mine's marked

SPRINGFIELD
30 CAL. 1906

I'd like to know if that's correct or if it was rebarreled...

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, my model 30 is a 30-06 and does have the 6 hole pattern on the left side of the receiver. I would still prefer to get rid of the holes just so it will look better.

My barrel is marked:

Springfield
30 Cal. 1906

It also has the original receiver sight and barrel band front sight. It is a well worn rifle but I like it.

josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bolt knob appears to be changed also

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
That was my thought as well JD, however that could be rectified. Can anything be done to bring back the reciever and bridge that wouldn't show?

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well drilling an action is not the big deal to me it was slapping on a set of $20 weavers that did it. Unless the action in question is highly collectible and it's value would be severely reduced by installing a scope I say go for it.

If you are going to buy a rifle of that quality and craftsmanship that has a certain elegance to it by god at least to it justice an put on a decent set of bases and rings for gods sake.
Talley ring and bases are not that expensive to warrant a foul up like that

But on the other hand I certainly feel a scope has no place on a double rifle. To me it just ruins the lines of the gun and is visually out of place

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Well drilling an action is not the big deal to me it was slapping on a set of $20 weavers that did it....

+1.
the weavers are not a permament feature scar,
Though Id have to grinD that charge hump off[ Eeker] to properly allow some tasteful custom bases.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its like buying a new Porsche and then sanding down the paint on the hood because of the glare.
josh

JoshA,
I dont believe in such dodgy sanding jobs,
One can order Porsches and Mercs in totally parkerized Matte finish.... Big Grin

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Well drilling an action is not the big deal to me it was slapping on a set of $20 weavers that did it....

+1.
the weavers are not a permament feature scar,
Though Id have to grinD that charge hump off[ Eeker] to properly allow some tasteful custom bases.

+1 thumb

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
How about this ?

KULGEVÄR, Tyskt, repeter, fabrikat: Mauser Oberndorf, modell 98, kal. 10,75x68, tillvnr. 54313, piplängd 60 cm, ställbart sikte, plundringsbart magasin, magasinslucka med lås, hornnäsa, framstock med snabel, helstockskolv med pistolgrepp och kindstöd, hornbakkappa, rembyglar, något sliten blånering på lådan och underbeslaget, liten spricka i kolvhalsen, märken på kolven i övrigt GOTT SKICK. Utropspris: 8000-10000SEK

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as the action with the holes screwed up I have seen one with 7 YES 7 holes in it.3 are 6-48 4 are 8-32 and only 2 holes that line up are on the front of the reciever(they are one of each size).Go figure

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsman456:
As far as the action with the holes screwed up I have seen one with 7 YES 7 holes in it.3 are 6-48 4 are 8-32 and only 2 holes that line up are on the front of the reciever(they are one of each size).Go figure

Some people just should know better for one and two never touch power tools.

I guess I'm the type that knows my limitations and don't try things till I understand what is going on and can control the outcome to some degree

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
How about this ?

KULGEVÄR, Tyskt, repeter, fabrikat: Mauser Oberndorf, modell 98, kal. 10,75x68, tillvnr. 54313, piplängd 60 cm, ställbart sikte, plundringsbart magasin, magasinslucka med lås, hornnäsa, framstock med snabel, helstockskolv med pistolgrepp och kindstöd, hornbakkappa, rembyglar, något sliten blånering på lådan och underbeslaget, liten spricka i kolvhalsen, märken på kolven i övrigt GOTT SKICK. Utropspris: 8000-10000SEK

so educate me
what makes a rifle like this so desirable?
It's a great looking gun but it also looks to be a custom waiting to happen.
completely tear it down, bead blast or polish 30% to 50% coverage engraving. Leaf sight with a BH front sight

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Josh

The Mauser may have started life as a Type A but has had the bolt handle altered and replacement low swing safety. Has also been converted to a takedown by the looks of it and the rear safari sight does not look original or it has been modified. I’m not aware that theType A was ever turned out from the factory as a take down? A very nice rifle and I bet it will be the pride and joy of someone worthy.

Anyway all you snobs take a look at this. An original Type A that started life as a 10.75x68 now opened up to 404J, complete with an inferior, infernally low Weaver base for which the receiver and rear sight were drilled and tapped. God forbid it has had one of those low-life Leupold scout scopes installed in yet again those low, low Weaver rings, and they don’t even have lever release.

Wonder who butchered this Mauser? It was me and proud of it. I can hear the lynch mob on their way.
This 404 doesn’t spend its life locked away only to be admired for some collector value. It is what Paul Mauser made it, a tool, a workhorse and a fine dangerous game rifle that has proven its worth in the field as a 404 let alone what it accomplished in Africa as a 10.75x68. It will return to Africa one day soon, Leupold scope, Weaver mounts, warts and all. One thing I do know is that it will do everything asked of it as always. It will do what Paul Mauser made it to do, it will do it in style, and nothing else really matters.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, just take the rifle to JJ Perodeau at Chamlin Arms, and have him fit claw mounts to those reciever holes, and BINGO, a precision class act scope mount...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
German Rifles deserve german scopes Ziess would be a good choice

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread-

I have been there- had some really nice original Mausers, but they had limited utility without a scope. I did have Laslo at Duncan's Gunworks do a persiod correct claw mount system, with the claws releasing the English direction, and not the German one.

He milled into the receiver and did a beautiful job. One does have to modify the safety, and you have to be careful not to mount the apparatus too high, especially with original stocks, or the rifle will not come up to your shoulder and eye correctly.

Set me back $3800 but was correct.

If I were doing it again, I'd sell or keep the original and find one not quite so nice and just drill holes and put Leupold or Talley bases on it...

Sacrilege maybe....

Eagle- very very interested in your mod from 10x68 to 404J- did you bore out the barrel or rebarrel?

Lovely working rifle and I am glad that rifle is being used!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
P dog, that is a Mauser type A in 10.75x68. Its a 5K rifle, minus the Bubba damage. It is a very elegant rifle, not some current factory remchester. It certainly doesn't deserve to have trashy Weaver bases stuck on top.

Josh,

Move back in time to the era between WWII and to say 1965. The Mauser type A was a cheap purchase and many of its chambering, as in this case the 10x68, were not popular chamberings in the USA which further reduced their purchase value. As to the cheap Weaver steel bases, you could always count on them to work as intended and during that timeframe they were a standard by which the integrity of other receiver bases were compared. Many renown gunsmith/gun manufacturers of German heritage offered their services to modify Mauser rifles to accommodate the American desire for a scope mounted rifle. I personally would take that rifle to do its intended purpose any day of the week…that being shooting and hunting…and enjoy it every time I used it. But then I’m not partial to safe queens and from my prospective that rifle was never intended to be a safe queen.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 404WJJeffery:
Interesting thread-

I did have Laslo at Duncan's Gunworks do a persiod correct claw mount system, with the claws releasing the English direction, and not the German one.

Is that Duncan In California Bud Duncan???

I'm in there all the time
Just about grew up there

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
404WJ

Thanks for comments on my 404. I didn't intend to imply that I had done the conversion to 404. This was done in Africa by rechambering the original barrel and opening up the bolt face and the magazine well to accommodate the larger 404 cartridge. I drilled and tapped for the alloy Weaver base and mounted the scope. The low and v profile of the Weaver base matches the profile of the rear sight exactly so does not at all detract from using the open sights with the scope removed. Everything else is original.
The 10.75x68 and the 404J otherwise known as the 10.75x73 share the same bore size.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think this is a take down rifle, just a take down stock. If this is the rifle Cabelas has in stock, I am sure. Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This thread kind of reminds me of two ships passing in the foggy night of the North Atlantic....each containing people going their own ways, neither 100% cognizant or appreciative of the destinations of the other folks.

Seems that here one ship is filled with those mainly bent on preserving icons and accruing monetary value along the way.

The other is full of workers (or sportsmen), each intent on maximizing the practical usefulness of their tools in their own ways...for the sheer fun of doing the work those tools were manufactured to perform, not just accruing wealth or adoring idle idols, transitory or otherwise.

I think (hope) my ticket places me on board the second ship. And I think the owner of the rifle which occasioned this thread probably was booked on it also. He made (or had made) the modifications because he owned the rifle (tool) and wanted them, to make it work more closely toward the purposes he had in mind...whatever they were.

Perhaps we are in no position to see where he practised his craft with this rifle-tool or with what skill(s). Without that view, perhaps we cannot expect to accurately assess how useful (or not) his modifications were (are).

In the past I've owned many classic Mausers, including a nice pair or original 10.75x68 sporters. I had them re-stocked by a young fellow in Speedy Creek (Swift Current), Saskatchewan, thus destroying much of the collectors' and monetary value of the pair, but giving me two much more useable and more beautiful rifles. Funny thing about that, I thought at the time they were built by Mauser to BE used.

I still think so, though doubtless some collector or collectors have them now.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to interfere with the thread but I have an old FN commercial 270 that is just about that bad. Are there any scope mounts other than the custom one's that mimic a square bridge? Mine had the weavers and a tasco. The stock looked like it was painted with a brush, but thats another thread. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote