Find
Notify
Tools

1903 quark???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted
I just picked up a remington 1903. After checking the headspace and loadin up some light loads, I headed to the range. Shoots GREAT, problem is the bolt wont open after firing unless you manually cock the firing pin. I am going to take it apart this evening and see if I can find the problem. However I thought I wouls put this out to see if anyone knows the problem. Thanks,,,
JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It could be that the main spring is too strong.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would look at the camming surfaces of the cocking piece and bolt. If they're not nice and smooth, it can cause a hard bolt lift like you described.

If they're ok, I would look to make sure the sear has plenty of clearance in the stock, as it has to move too when you're lifting the bolt to cock the rifle.

Good luck!

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might be that your light loads are to light and that the primer is backing out of the case some what causeing the fring pin to stick in the primer. I know if you just shot primers off they back out.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Well, I went through the bolt and cleaned it up. After close inspection I notice a small flaw in the caming surface of the cocking peice (Thanks SamB). I smoothed it up and checked the spring, (which seemed a little stiff) put it back together, and it seems to fuction alot better. I am going to test fire with normal loads and then tear it back down and polish all of the surfaces the work during the cocking fuction. Thanks to you all and happy shooting...

JAG

one of us
posted Hide Post
The camming surfaces need to be extremely hard. Has the bolt been welded on?? New handle perhaps? Used to be common that after welding on a new handle Casenite was used to case harden the cam surface. This works great for a while, then it wears through. At that point the effort to lift the bolt becomes extreme to impossible. After you smooth it put a new case on it. Or get it welded by some one capable of putting on air hardening steel, not easy.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hardening and polishing is the answer. The Springfield is more senitive to this problem than is the 98 Mauser because the camming surface is steeper. This is due to the smaller diameter of the Springfield bolt at that point. This was the reason Mauser enlarged the rear of the bolt. In general those actions which are described as "modified Mausers" seldom contain improvements. Only modifications. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
I have sent it to a smith near me which is going to have it hardend and then I will preform the final polish. This has been a great learning experience and way more fun then should be legal. Thanks again for all of the help and I will post pics after it is finished. Happy shooting!

Jason